Cordless angle grinders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any good?
Would they cut through a padlock, as on a private company's wheel clamp? Entirely theoretically of course. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
only just, I'm right off battery gear use chorded for everything except pistol drill.

My makita liion angle drill comes up with a red light as soon as it is touched to the work even on fully charged batteries, you could cut butter with it. It would never cut a padlock in a month of sundays.

When I had a dewalts 18v nicad angle grinder it would have achieved the task but rotated much slower than a chorded, was heavier and clumsier and stalled at the sight of real work.

A cheap £17 chorded one from bnq is 10 times better.

also with battery gear you have a lot more weight and asccessories to lug in and out of the job daily, more appealing to theaves, and you spend all day changing batteires instead of geting on with the job.

Any good?
Would they cut through a padlock, as on a private company's wheel clamp? Entirely theoretically of course. :LOL:

Yes, and also DVLA ones ;) :oops:

A err, friend tried some cheap bolt cutters and the jaw snapped and flew across the road. He then used a ryobi one with a very thin disc (about 2mm and from Aldi) and this did the job. This friend says to not on press on too much, and and let the tool do the work

Sponsored Links
yep i agree you need the ultra thin discs and take your time
may be easier removing the "legs" as they are softer material

have quite easily cut soft steel bar 37x20mm [18v dewalt]

I think the way to do it is a tin of freezer, get it cold, put safety specs on, and whack it wit a hammer. just shatters.

My 18V DeWalt NiCAD grinder seems to work fine.

My 18V DeWalt NiCAD grinder seems to work fine.

To be honest mine did, I sold it in favour of brand new makita liion gear which turned out to be a pile of poo.

I agree. I used to own a Makita cordless grinder and it was pants.

Also, the 18v makita cordless I bought a ear or so ago, while being good in regards to battery life, is pretty feeble when lined up against De Walt or even Bosch cordless of the same voltage. (torque wise)

back on topic.

Maybe the OP should buy one of these>?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hydraulic-cut...ryZ46578QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
:LOL:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As long as I have all 4 of my batteries charged up and ready to go my Dewalt 18v grinder copes with most small jobs :D

Does anyone else find that the batteries are really hot after being used in the grinder and need a couple of hours to cool down before they’ll accept being re-charged??

yes they will get hot although wouldnt expect them to stay "hot "for more than 20 mins
i assume they are "warm" after about 30 mins

at 50/50 run rest time thats an amp every 90 mins or so at around 380w

You’re correct big-all.

The batteries are only hot (to the touch) for a short time – but they remain too hot for my charger to want to charge them for quite a bit longer even though the battery is just warm to the touch.

I should have said that I was cutting paving slabs with it though – so was running the grinder pretty much constantly from full to flat battery.

One slab was so hard it took more than one whole battery to get through :D

Never used a cordless grinder, but whether using a corded or cordless grinder, get yourself a decent blade. I use a diamond Marcrist blade and it works for most everything, lasted for ages (still like new) and is so thin it cuts really fast. I haven't found anything to trouble it yet. Padlocks take seconds.

Disc choice will be the key on this type of grinder.

For cutting jobs, a good quaity ultra thin disc (1mm thick), such as Rhodius, Kromeflex, Dronco will vastly out perform a standard cheap cutting disc.

And dont force it through.

These 18v cordless will work fine from a 12v car battery. Just pick up a cheap one - perhaps with a duff battery, cable it up with a pair of crock clips one end and leave it in the car boot..... just in case you need to cut a padlock of a certain device - which shall remain nameless.

Power to the people.... and your angle grinder!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back