Cordless drill

S

Sombrero

Can anyone recommend a make and model of cordless drill?
Makita vs Dewalt? and whats the diference between 18v and 24v in preformance?

Sponsored Links
bosch blue,lithium battery range.

;) :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: thats for all the others who will post with there recommendations.

I am just switching from Hitachi to Makita.

How good a tool is depends on the model. All the manufacturers sell several drills that have similar model numbers and look the same, with 18V and 3ah batteries but the gearing, chuck, casing, power rating etc will be different. And what looks to be a bargain may not be. Look at the spec in detail before you buy. Those bargain boxed sets are the basic model of cheap tools.

I do think the Blue Bosch range is great, but you get more tool for your money with Makita.

American made Dewalt are great too, but the Dewalt tools sold here in the UK are (I am told) Far East imports and the internals are rubbish!

Sponsored Links
agree about dewalt,
as for makita vs bosch ive have the privilege of being able to have burned out both :LOL: only difference was it took me 18 mths to do the makita and about 4 years to do the bosch.

now if you go down the corded drill route,i too have done the same with exactly the same makes :rolleyes: makita blew up after approx 1 year,bosch lasted about 12 years.
for me its a no brainer.BUT HEY im biased. :LOL: :LOL:

I have an old black and decker metal bodied drill my Dad bought in about 1970 and it still works. I would not use it today however, but I could if I wanted as the power source is still 240v, they have not changed that in all these years.
But I also have a bunch of old cordless drills tucked away under one of the benches in the workshop that would work if the batteries were still any good. Mostly Ni Cad, some NMH.
I am now buying lithium tools but buy expecting to right it off in 2-3 years. If it lasts longer than that great, but by then other lighter, smaller, more powerful models will be available, plus my batteries will be knackered.
So buy what you can afford, and buy the correct rated tool for the job so you intend to do so you do not overwork it and burn it out too quick like some people keep doing. Nearly 40 years in the trade, never burnt a drill out. They have fallen apart, gearboxes failed, switches packed up etc, but not burnt out. ;)

I'll get the winking smile and say Ryobi

good value diy i agree [what a surprize lol]

all depends on what its for really
diy value for money with many tools to fit the batteries ryobi

starting up in business little money again ryobi then replace with big boys tools as and when they fail [you may have a long weight ;) ]

tell us your uses and future plans for more suggestions

Bosch all the way, very robust, three year warranty and, should you need it, a five day turnaround on warranty repairs (that includes them picking it up from you and bringing it back when its fixed).

Makita every time for me . I have battery drills/drivers that I have had for over 20 years. Even have some original batteries that work just fine.
Best advice I could give you though- is 'dont hammer your tools to death'.
If they start geting warm- give them a rest and use another tool for a short while. (always have another similar/same type tool in your box).
Look after your tools and they will look after you.

Even a olympic athlete needs to get his breath back when he gets a sweat on. !!.

alot of american dewalt tools are made in mexico, they use the same parts battery cells etc.... so i dont think theres alot of difference.

I have an old black and decker metal bodied drill my Dad bought in about 1970 and it still works. I would not use it today however, but I could if I wanted as the power source is still 240v, they have not changed that in all these years.
But I also have a bunch of old cordless drills tucked away under one of the benches in the workshop that would work if the batteries were still any good. Mostly Ni Cad, some NMH.
I am now buying lithium tools but buy expecting to right it off in 2-3 years. If it lasts longer than that great, but by then other lighter, smaller, more powerful models will be available, plus my batteries will be knackered.
So buy what you can afford, and buy the correct rated tool for the job so you intend to do so you do not overwork it and burn it out too quick like some people keep doing. Nearly 40 years in the trade, never burnt a drill out. They have fallen apart, gearboxes failed, switches packed up etc, but not burnt out. ;)
Sensible advice off Steve,.
Only idiots burn out their tools. Thing is though- idiots only have ONE tool - people who rely on them for a living have TWO or more.
If a tool starts getting hot - it's trying to tell you something.
If you carry on working it- because you think you are near the finishing line for the job'-- fool you .
It's a bit like working a Donkey !! most sensible firms have 2 Donkeys --second one if for when first Donkey gets tired.
:LOL:

ps- Makita every time for me .

Sensible advice off Steve,.
Only idiots burn out their tools. Thing is though- idiots only have ONE tool - people who rely on them for a living have TWO or more.
If a tool starts getting hot - it's trying to tell you something.
If you carry on working it- because you think you are near the finishing line for the job'-- fool you .
It's a bit like working a Donkey !! most sensible firms have 2 Donkeys --second one if for when first Donkey gets tired.
:LOL:

ps- Makita every time for me .[/quote]

oh how i laughed reading that. :rolleyes:

over the years i had the pleasure of using some very expensive pieces of kit to allow me to do the type of job i do/did.
some have failed for in my eyes normal usage which bear in mind are meant to be PROFESSIONAL tools.sometimes age just comes into it and the thing just gives up and dies,bit like my planer blew up when i was in the middle of making something out of teak and ruined the piece.iirc it was about 14 years old.didnt get my moneys worth out of that now did i??

there are a few of us on here that have a RATHER large collection of tools
;) but expecting the average joe to have more then 1 to do there job is a bit strange when most people struggle to get a set of tools that are require to carry out there job. :confused: in the 1st place.

I know its a month too late but i got a hoofing AEG lithium batt 18v Cordless. Goes through anything and cost about £70 i think. Best cordless ive used by far. Id never heard of AEG until i bought it, i litterally got it because i needed one and i thought it was cheap.

I know its a month too late but i got a hoofing AEG lithium batt 18v Cordless. Goes through anything and cost about £70 i think. Best cordless ive used by far. Id never heard of AEG until i bought it, i litterally got it because i needed one and i thought it was cheap.

aeg is the poffesional tools from the tti stable the same company that ryobi and several other well know brands
http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands/media_gallery

I bought a Taurus 14.4 volt cordless drill from Aldi a few years ago. Used it a few times - was OK, but just recently I needed it for punching some holes in the wall to hang up a picture for the bride. Well it did not work, did not re-charge - in other words it's now a piece of junk for the bin. The Taurus after sales support were not helpful - they confirmed that the 2yr warranty was no longer valid and wanted to sell me a new battery or re-charger. My advice is keep away from this cheap junk Aldi use to fill the shelves.

T T T

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back