Cordless Fein Multie tool

B

Bodd

Hello All
I bought myself a new Cordless Fein Multie tool. I did no research just went on the basis it looked good and handled well.

It is a good tool feels so much better than a couple of other brands I tried.

Problem is the blades are so expensive.

Big mistake I wish I shopped about even if the competition is not so good, the Blades are more than half the price.

O well I won't do that again.

Bod

Sponsored Links
I can fit cheap blades to my fein multi tool.

Hello Roger

They have now developed a tool that only takes their blade, in Conjunction with Bosch Im told.
My Old Fein saw also did! I suppose that'd why I never gave it a thought.

Assuming that you have a Fein AFMM 18 QSL cordless (you didn't actually state the model) then your Multitool is StarLock and StarLock Plus compatible. That means it will take compatible cutters from Fein or Bosch (who jointly developed the standard)

StarLock Connector System 001 01.JPG

The standard is very new, having only been announced last year and only really appearing on tools at the beginning of this year, so to an extent you are paying the price of being an early adopter, however with the two most important manufacturers of this type of tool (Fein - the inventors and original patentees and Bosch) behind this standard the market will not be long catching up.

StarLock Connector Example 001 01.JPG

AFAIK Starlock accessories are backwards-compatible with Bosch OIS-compatible tools including:
  • Bosch GOP
  • Bosch PMF
  • Fein MultiMaster
  • Fein-rounder
  • Makita
  • Hitachi
  • Metabo
  • Milwaukee
  • AEG
  • Einhell
  • Ryobi
But Fein's own information on this is that the AFMM 18 QSL should be backwards compatible with older Fein-compatible blades such as those supplied by Saxton. Have you actually tried any of those blades? Or have you contacted Saxton to ask them about compatibility?

Sponsored Links
Hello Job

I did call and ask Saxon and they tell me tough tit ( in a nice way ) that ni one will ever make a cheaper blade other than the said manufacturers it must be patented

I do hope your right and I misunderstood

Bod

If Saxon are saying that then nobody else will be offering a solution at ppresent, either. At last not until the patent runs out, or they get desparate and either pirate it or pay the license fees. Can't see the vacuum lasting forever, though. Many tradesmen now use these tools and as it stands the OEM blades are all just too expensive, even when bought in bulk (or at least I struggle to get al but low cost blades past the all-seeing eye of the contracts manager). In some ways I'm glad I still have an older Multitool, now.

If Saxon are saying that then nobody else will be offering a solution at ppresent, either. At last not until the patent runs out, or they get desparate and either pirate it or pay the license fees. Can't see the vacuum lasting forever, though. Many tradesmen now use these tools and as it stands the OEM blades are all just too expensive, even when bought in bulk (or at least I struggle to get al but low cost blades past the all-seeing eye of the contracts manager). In some ways I'm glad I still have an older Multitool, now.

I think They are not doing themselves any Favours Tradesmen will just stay clear of their tools, all be it it is very good handling

We had the self same situation about 20 years back when the original Multimaster Msx appeared on the market. Initially only Fein made the blades and they were eyewateringly expensive, so the tools (which were also relatively expensive) struggled to create the market. I reckon it was the coming of the cheap and cheerfulblades whic made these tools so universally popular. It's the Paslode scenario played out yet again

Had an interesting chat with the rep from Fein today...... The newest Bosch and Fein tools are all coming with this new standard. The new cutters were introduced 3 months before the tools were released and most of the old tools can all use the newer cutters (Starlock and Starlock Plus at least), BUT, the new tools can't use the older cutters. Other manufacturers may well come into the fold (hints at next year), but there is no intention to allow the cut-price blade makers such as Saxton or Faithfull to use the newer (patented) cutter attachement standards. It will be up to 3rd party firms to produce their own adaptors without infringing patents. Seems like your original premise is right and that they are trying to carve themselves a closed market.

i am sure the patent is well stitched up but easily got around by say a 2 part adapter so no one part alone conflicts with copyright
as for new blades they can just give them a miss just use the old blades and an adapter in two parts or not

Sounds like a bloody good reason to avoid Fein, Bosch or any other manufacturers that get on board.

i understand a manufacturer wanting to cover there investment in research and development
but theses are old hat designs not even improved off course the clamping design is new but not the blades

I got a Worx and am quite content with it. I get my blades from Saxon now (or Aldi, but they sell different packs of blades, not all fit).

Maybe the Bosch ones are better, I don't do enough to know.

I imagine Screwfix will be selling a cheaper one soon.

It's like the razor-blade market.

Assuming that you have a Fein AFMM 18 QSL cordless (you didn't actually state the model) then your Multitool is StarLock and StarLock Plus compatible. That means it will take compatible cutters from Fein or Bosch (who jointly developed the standard)

View attachment 108568

The standard is very new, having only been announced last year and only really appearing on tools at the beginning of this year, so to an extent you are paying the price of being an early adopter, however with the two most important manufacturers of this type of tool (Fein - the inventors and original patentees and Bosch) behind this standard the market will not be long catching up.

View attachment 108569

AFAIK Starlock accessories are backwards-compatible with Bosch OIS-compatible tools including:
  • Bosch GOP
  • Bosch PMF
  • Fein MultiMaster
  • Fein-rounder
  • Makita
  • Hitachi
  • Metabo
  • Milwaukee
  • AEG
  • Einhell
  • Ryobi
But Fein's own information on this is that the AFMM 18 QSL should be backwards compatible with older Fein-compatible blades such as those supplied by Saxton. Have you actually tried any of those blades? Or have you contacted Saxton to ask them about compatibility?

Yes they told me tough luck in a nice way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back