corgi gas course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some advice on the best way to become a corgi registerd plumber. which way is best, costs, etc, any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
3 years work experience with an experienced engineer. along with college one day a week.
only when you feel you can work by yourself is it worth becoming corgi registered, even then a good year maybe 2 to be any good by yourself.

The best way depends on which point you are starting from.
Are you practical, capable, and reasonably intelligent?
Do you understand how appliances work? Can you work out the bits which are missing, using reasoning and logic?
Many successful CORGI registered installers cannot fault find, and don't even try to. Some blunder on blindly changing perfectly good parts until the appliance works again (the motor mechanic approach).
There is no substitute for experience, it's true, but there are several facets to gas fitting, each needing a different approach and training. In any case you must take a college course, then ACS exams, then apply to CORGI.

thanks for that, is there anyway of a fast track course? why do you have to spend 3 years with a engineer and possibly pick up his bad habits and spend one day at college when you could spend everyday there learning your trade and skills. i say this because i have just built 2 properties and the worst trades i used were plumbers, 3 made appointments and never turned up, the others work was so bad i ripped it all out and did it all again myself

Sponsored Links
Dont bother cos ther aint now way earth you can beat Pappy, Agile ChrisR and occasionaly ;) our dear old soft

nope no way to fast track it CORGI will want proof that you have been working under the supervision of an RGI for at least 18 months (not three years I know this cos I only asked them last week :))

80hrs of the same will get you an ACS course where you can then go under an umbrella reg but NOT SOLO

sorry matey aint no way to fast track this one

Agile has been doing it for three months so far and I think its safe to say the lad is getting a handle on this boiler lark but has a long way to go, aww bless

;)

If Tony needs to finish off his apprenticeship he might as well come to Scarborough, as long as he doesn't text his mates all day.

In seriousness skido6, don't do it.

What I suggest is become an electrician it's faster to do, cheaper by miles and an absolute doddle. I just got 16th edition last week, I was up against three guys who are time served sparkies with 10 some 20 years behind them, they had various qualifications on the job but needed to go further. Though it was their trade their trade experience was such a small segment of the job they had no useful experience for household work.

Every mock test I did in about 10 minutes and got a huge percentage right. They never finished the paper. Final exam i walked out after 25 minutes of the 120 minutes allowed. Without even opening the books I got easily 90% right. You only need 51% to pass.

I'm not saying this to brag but to blast some myths. If you can build houses, you should also be at my level.

Now to find your route in would take you further investigation, but because of the government part P situation there is a route in for kitchen fitters plumbers and the like. You could legitimately get in via this route as a property developer who fits his own kitchens and bathrooms. To do this you need part P qualification. So you go away for a week and get that. Now you are qualified to do almost anything and test and inspect your own work.

Next level go and sail through c&g 2381 (16th ed), after part p you'll be twiddling your thumbs waiting for the instructer to say something challenging.

Final level c&g 2391 (Full inspection and testing). That one is difficult, very very hard. It's closed book and I looked at a paper, but couldn't get the 71% (average expected pass mark, but it does depend how the other candidates around the country do, on average only 30% of electricians pass this first time).

You will have to watch this space though, because I went down to Napit to join them full scope and they ran me through the mill for two days. I mean this "trade test" was probably the toughest two days of examination under the microscope I have head in my life. At the end the examiner said yes we'll have you, that was 2391. Now what I think that meant was a trade test to the standard of 2391 but probably still need to do the c&g exam. However he said an external qualification would arrive in the post, so whatever the trade test was it was externally ratified, and just maybe napit have gained approval to run c&g 2391. Time will tell. He did say it was 2391, but many people are telling me that it can't be.

Now as for why I advise you to take this route, it's all similar work, lifting floorboards and routing things around a house.

For the inspecting side I believe it is better payed that corgi work. Lets put it like this, I did a gas inspection for a landlady prospectively buying a house, I took two hours so I could take fire front off inspect flue and back boiler properly, took other fire out to do same, checked cooker and wall heater. Found out why heating didn't work and got it going, did tightness test. made sure ventilation was satisfactory, even checked in loft for condition of feathers.

The sparks was there same amount of time as me, and took off a couple of socket fronts but that's all, did his tests at the Distribution Board.

My bill? £60

His bill? £250

The guest house I stayed in down at Napit, had recently been inspected for insurance requirements. They took a whole day toi do it and took every socket front off, but for that they charged £800.

The key to this is exclusivity and also consider what is going on in the labour market.

Bceause many electricians are incapable of geting 2391 there is exclusivity to having it. But it is an absolute necessity for some places and this market is enlarging.

Nowadays lowr level trade work is under great threat from cheap eastern european semi skilled labour. It has never been a better time to get out of plumbing.

Combine that with the fact that since I joined only a few years ago the job has been turned on it's head to the degree I certainly wouldn't do it again, and as you can see, though I shall keep my registration, my future as an installer is in the ballance.

I may end up doing gas and electrical inspections but no work.

i agree plumbing is a dying trade .. i have contracted for the past 16 yrs installing heatings for various councils . ! 3 months ago the jobs i were on were stopped and prices were re calculated due to cuts etc ..

the jobs re started and 200 pound was taken from the install price .. ?? wots that all about !
there is definately a lull in the market even a friend of mine can charge more and he is a damn gardener.so yes the electrical side is a better road to go down .. i am thinking the same myself and welcome the info above

john .

Not the least of the differences is the interpretation of the rules. The electricians are credited with intelligent iterpretation. the gas fitter is given no leaway while the unregistered get away with blue murder. The dichotomy of standards has certainly turned me off corgi work.

How come when we are falling over ncs situations all the livelong day we aren't allowed a single one. Whereas in truth many ncs's are in no way any danger and we should be credited with sufficient intelligence to decide for ourselves when we consider a situation economic to fit to full standard, or to compromise in the interests of practicaliy and economy.

Also one of my main bug bears is that in ahouse with well sized and balanced rads or undersized rads, there is no blanket need for trv's. I still don't use them at home and never shall, so why should I make my job more expensive to the client compared to the cowboy? Likewise if the cylinder is a yellow jacket not quite 1566 one, is it really going to save the customer money for me to renew it? During what payback period?

No thanks, too stiff regulation and a governing boddy that is into s and m.

Bye bye sooner or later!!!!
I understand (rom gas training provider friend) as the penny is dropping (that it's better to be uregistered) for them many old hands are not renewing.

Please someone tell me that since Ronan Point there haven't been anay gas related deaths or something else positive about corgi I feel like sticking my head in the oven. Oh bugger that didn't work, will have to sit with finger on the spark ignition.

I cant believe your saying that if you fast track gas dont expect to be any good and then telling the OP that a 3day 16th edition course and a pile of rubbish part p course will then make him a good qualified spark.
If you want to be a spark instead, go the proper route. work with an installer for 3 yaers, qualify to 2330,2381,2391,AM2 and NVQ3.Then you'll know what you need to know(including 3phase as not taught on any of the other courses).
Dont thimk just because you can answer a multy guess question paper with the answers in a brown book that you know what your doing, thats why 2391 is closed book to determine if you know practically what your doing as well as theoritically.
Paul, i have no arguments with you or the route you've took(glad to hear you may have passed 2391,now for 2400, sorry 2391 part 2), just the system.A plumbing friend of mine spent £2000 on a 2week course , got 16th and part p then proceeded to make the case of an electric cooker live which then earthed it self to the gas hob above and spot welded itself to it.But its ok he's part P.
It should go the way of gas, no registration without the EXPERIENCE and the QUALIFICATIONS to match.

ok with all that,
you have to admit that 2381 is a complete farce. Gas exams are 100% required to pass. Electrics should be the same, how can someone be assessed competent if he can only answer 51% of very basic questions correctly even with the books open and enough time to write the books?

Granted 2391 sorts the wheat from the chaff and rightly so, but 2381 needs to be a lot tougher. IMHO eal level 2 (part P qualification) is much tougher.

The trouble with C&G is that their pass mark has always been no more than 60% depending on national average.This year however one of the apperentices at the firm i sub for has said that the exams are a lot harder and have been changed, next year will again be harder still.
The part p course should be difficult as it is a practicle based course, anyone with a sight for learning can pass a theory exam, especially plumbers as we have so many in ACS, but the practicle side should weed out the rubbish.Most heating engineers will do well because im sure most would never trust a spark to wire up a heating job.

lcgs wrote
most would never trust a spark to wire up a heating job. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
very true :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back