Corgi Training

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone out there willing to take out a qualified domestic plumber to pass on their wealth of knowledge in the secret world of Gas? Mature, easy going, reliable and keen to learn.

East London Area.

Thanks. :confused:

Sponsored Links
And for all those pearls of wisdom what would the highly experienced CORGI engineer be getting in return???

Perhaps after you are trained you will be undercutting his rates and stealing his customers?

All i can offer in return is to work for nothing i guess? What do you suggest?

dont bother mate, loadsa of us as it is and only a bit of work to go round, I remeber you said that you have NVQ2 why not get in contact with BG or servowarm I hear they are training up partially qualified peeps

Sponsored Links
Thanks , i suppose its the only way to get regular work. Just have to work for one of the big boys and eat s**t for a while :LOL:

Get yourself qualified. There is not a shortage of work. There are 95,000 gas fitters in the country and a 30,000 are expected to retire this year. Get yourself qualified ive never looked back.

I really cannot agree that almost a third of CORGI registered people are going to retire during the next year.

Where do you get that figure please?

Tony

City and Guilds issue it on there advertisement for Gas fitters to train. It is quite believable. All the old boys struggle with re-takes and lets face it when you walk into the merchants atleast a third of the custom are old boys.

Dont believe everything you see in adverts!

Do you know anyone who has taken the six week plumbing course and then earns £50,000 during the next year?

Tony

Hahaha! O.k well even if their figures are wrong there are a lot retiring which will open up vacancies.

Our local merchants are jammed full of plumbers new and old and many old who have gone back to jobbing since redundancy. MAsses of them are in big firms vans and they are larking around wasting their employers time and my time in the queue. You see them on nights out aswell, heckling from the back, cheating at the quiz to win a coat, if they went alone they'd just be combi swap profiteers.

They used to take the **** out of me not knowiung the correct name of what I wanted but I haven't gone away, they are still larking around wasting every body's time and money, and I'm considering extra vans and staff. Wouldn't take one of them if they came for free.

I failed to find anything about a "third" of plumbers retiring!

What I did find on the C&G website was:-

"""According to the report, today’s workforce fully anticipates working for longer, with a third expecting to postpone their retirement. A quarter (24 per cent) of people who forecast extended working lives are worried that there will not be a state pension when their working days end and a further one in six people foresee the rules in their workplace changing, forcibly keeping them there for longer."""

I am left wondering if PP misread that statement.

In any event what it says is very relevent. Many plumbers dont want to give up earning £70k per annum and are certainly not going to retire unles they have to.

Also with all these reports of £70k p.a. there are thousands going into the industry many taking these six week courses. CNWL stopped taking applications at 3200 because there were only 183 places available for the year.

Other postings here from newbees are talking about the difficulty of getting enough work, quite apart from the influx of 90,000 plumbers from East Europe, most of whom do a much neater job than British plumbers.

Tony

No thats not what i said: the term Plumber and Gas fitter are different. And a large quantity of gas fitters are set to retire i can assure you.

I do remember that figure being banded about several years ago when the government were trying to get the construction bandwagon rolling. Possibly one initiative which exceeded the governments ambitions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back