correct advisive for tiling on tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm tiling a bathroom, ceramic tiles over sound and level ceramic tiles.
I have some ready mixed tubs of Unibond Tile on Walls, shower and bathroom adhesive and grout (the blue and white tubs) to hand. It says on the tub that it is suitable for tiling on tiles however, the salesman who sold the tiles sugegested otherwise.
Understandably I now have doubt, can anyone confirm the sitability of the Unibond adhesive?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This is just my opinion here, but I try and avoid Unibond adhesives and grouts. I've found they're not as good as most other products.
Tiling on tiles is usually ok. So long as you don't overload the wall and the existing tiles are sound, then you just need to ensure that the tiles are clean and leave the newly fitted tiles around 3 days before grouting. As ever, if using large tiles (around 300mm x 300mm) then you want to be using powdered adhesive and not pre-mixed.

i would like to add also, in just my opionion i would remove all the old tiles first, entirely up to you but when you want to change it again what are you going to do? tile over tile over tile?

:cool:

Sponsored Links
Come on Jeff that argument is weak. You can tile over tiles once. The next time you take em down.

yes you can but it is horrible! and its doing half a job.

but that is just my humble opinion!

love ya GC ;)

Hello,
Just thought I'd add my thoughts to the mix, just to let you know I'm just a DIYer not a pro.

Anyway, just finished my bathroom using 600 * 300 mm tiles over existing tiles. I used Unibond adhesive specifically for large tiles over existing tiles, it's not a grout and is very very thick. It worked very well and I'd happily use it again.

However a word of warning, I ran out of that stuff and had to use what the local shop had available which was also unibond tile on walls adhesive. It said on the back that it was suitable for tiling over tiles but was worse than useless, it was thinner and refused to set at all. Eventually had to find a shop selling the thicker stuff.

Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back