Correct Consumer Unit For TT Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having some work done on our house and our electrirican says our consumer unit is wrong for our tt supply. He says I need a dual RCD board for the house with 2x RCD and 1x isolator.

My question is this: 1. do i need this? 2. can i convert my existing board with one RCD in it to one with 2 in it? the current board is split load and has 4 spare ways

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd say stick with what the electrician says, it will probably be cheaper in the long run rather than messing about with an existing CU.
Also thank him for potentially saving you and your families lives.

Could we not just replace the main isolator with a RCD? so the box will have two in it then

Not really, you'll need to have standard 30mA RCD protection for concealed cables to comply with the 17th edn regs.
To replace the main switch with a 30mA RCD can, in the event of a fault, kill the whole installation which is deemed unacceptable.
Stick with what your electrician says, that is what you are paying him for.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he wants to bring it up to the 17th edition.

It very much depends how significant the work is being carried out.
Repair or Adding circuits ?
Adding lights ?

What make is the CU ?

More info and a picture always helps.

I dont have a camera im afraid as its broke. Its a 5 year old contactum board with one main isolator and one RCD (split load) we are having two extra sockets installed. can i replace the main isolator with a 100ma RCD?

Also thank him for potentially saving you and your families lives.

What's wrong with a split load board? It was all the rage under 16th Edition and I don't recall it being blamed for mass murder.

PJ

He has a normal split load CU on a TT supply, dangerous!
It wouldn't meet the 16th edn regs nor previous editions either.

I dont have a camera im afraid as its broke. Its a 5 year old contactum board with one main isolator and one RCD (split load) we are having two extra sockets installed. can i replace the main isolator with a 100ma RCD?

Price up a 100A type S 100mA RCD and compare it to the price of a new consumer unit, knowing of course that a new CU is more likely to bring the installation up to current regs and a 100mA (S) RCD probably wont.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back