Correct Consumer Unit For TT Supply

I'd leave the buying to the electrician tbh.
A TT supply can only be converted to a TN by the electricity distribution network operator.
That will definately cost more than a Dual RCD board :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'd leave the buying to the electrician tbh.
A TT supply can only be converted to a TN by the electricity distribution network operator.
That will definately cost more than a Dual RCD board :LOL:

I will be doing the buying as my uncle is the manager of an electrical wholesalers and can do me good deals.

Sponsored Links
Do you not like knowing everyones every whereabouts and what they are doing on facebook? My next status update will be going to the bathroom to brush my teeth :LOL:

All circuits on A TT installation have to be covered by an RCD. So just move the RCD up the board and make sure that all the circuits after it are protected by it. Won't cost u hardly anything then.

So what if it aint got 2 RCD's (as is now common, with 17th edition installations). These 2 RCD boards still don't comply with the regs as the nuisance tripping of one circuit should not affect the good working of the other (don't ask me the reg number, but it's in there). The industry have allowed 2 RCD's to be fitted to cover all the circuits as RCBO's are presently too expensive.

What do you mean so what?

That leaves the customer with a dangerous and non compliant installation.

A dual RCD board isn't perfect, but it's a good compromise for ideal installation Vs cost

I will be doing the buying as my uncle is the manager of an electrical wholesalers and can do me good deals.
Hardly worth the aggro of no, or limited, warranty on the work done by the electrician, as you probably won't save as much as you think by the time he's increased his labour charges to offset the profit on materials that you're taking away from him.

That is, of course, if there is an electrician, which I'm beginning to doubt.

What do you mean so what?
I think that what he means is that his previous contributions to this site now make more sense.

They are confessional.

FFS! How often do you ever contact the local distributor for anything? Get real, what are you wiring? EXPERIENCE and PROPER training negate the need to post stupid questions like this. If you did contact the local distributor it would be highly likely you'd end up speaking to someone in Bangladesh, who'd have about as much of an idea about electrics as some of the people on here.

TwyfordLiam.

I'm sure you are just trying to be helpful, but as you will grow to see. All you are doing it encouraging people who aint got a clue to attempt it, potentially causing injury or death to someone, doing electricians out of work and encouraging people to break the law.

Why go to college and do all your exams to become an electrician if people on here are going to give (sometimes misguided advice) on how to do it?

Absolutely not. It encourages people to attempt something they don't understand and know little about. Someone can look at this and do it in their own house and it may work, they then decide through this recently discovered confidence that they can be an electrician (as they've done it in their own house). One of these new electricians calls round to your mums house and do some wiring, only this time they do it wrong. Not only has it cost your mum money but could also cause injury or death.

Electrics aint wood or bricks and it won't get your carpet wet. Fine DIY like this but not electric. It dangerous, starts fires and can kill. Not to mention the work if carried out will be illegitimate.

Posts like this do not help.

Argument and rhetoric such as yours are dangerous and could be applied to anything in society. People are going to take drugs come what may, so why not tell people how to make their own?

In Canada people can't even buy a socket unless they are qualified (note I don't use the word competent) and look at their economy and building sector in comparison to ours.

3 week courses to become and Electrician or a Plumber. A joke and a disgrace!

If you're not a competent person, then no. I don't think you should be working on electrics.

You've obviously no idea what a 4 year electrical training course involves, so your comment on training means nothing to me.

Are you going to get a 200mS disconnection time with a time-delayed RCD?
Yes, a with significantly higher than I/\n trip test current they must trip quickly enough (60>mS <200mS) to comply with EN61008 or 9, which is where the daft 2x value came from in BS7671:2008 which was then deleted by the corrigendum.

RF Lighting.

One working RCD will do the job and keep you just as safe! Two RCD's are an industry standard (that doesn't comply with regs) to stop ALL circuits tripping out! Well with 2 RCD's fitted half the board is till going to trip.

He was looking for the job to be done cheaper. 1 RCD at head of the board that satisfies tripping times is just as safe as 2! So don't lecture me about safety.

If you want to do it properly so that if FULLY complies with regs, then fit RCBO's and watch the price treble.

Before you start lecturing me on safety get your facts right, Ban all Shed's get back to B&Q

It wont keep you just as safe and it directly contravenes regulation 314.1

If you take you head out of your arse for one second and actually read what I have written, you'll realise how stupid you are making your self look.

A single RCD at the head of the board is dangerous and does not comply with BS7671. It never has.

You then go on to tell me everything that I've already written earlier in the thread.

What's with the attitude anyway?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back