Cost to replace 1970s bungalow steel window lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 1970s bungalow, the gable end seems to have an issue with the original steel window lintels having rusted.

One window has a gap in the pointing of about 12mm where the bricks have raised all the way along.

The other window has a door as well so a bigger span, gap in pointing at sides, bricks look slightly sagged in the middle, all top double glazed units have failed, unsure if related.

Is this really serious? How much would you expect it to cost for this to be rectified? We are in the North-West.

Sponsored Links
The damage is likely to be more cosmetic than anything but the only way to rectify it is cut out the old lintel to the outer leaf and replace. Around £500ish per window.

You need to determine if the existing lintel is just for the outer leaf or if there is a single lintel covering internal and external. You need local quotes as the cost will depend on how much messing about there is and making good (especially internally) and not just a standard £x per opening.

And you may need a cavity tray too.

There is staining above and around that window. Is there an exposure issue or a problem with the roof or brickwork above?

Thanks guys well as they say the devil is in the detail..

As far as we know the wall construction is a brick outer, cavity and inner block.

Is there a way to find out if the lintel is just for the outer leaf without removing bricks?

I think the windows are just dirty and need cleaning, the roof and brickwork seem ok?

Sponsored Links
I think the windows are just dirty and need cleaning
There is black staining to the wall, which indicates excess damp. The areas of wall further along are a lighter colour. It may be the camera, but if not then it should be investigated.

You will need to removed a brick or two above the bearing to see that the lintel/end of lintel is like

Think I see what you mean.. I wonder if it could be due to cavity wall insulation?

I think the technical term is bridging?

For the rusted steel to jack up the brickwork chances are it is fairly substantial, probably something like a piece of angle or a flat bar. I've certainly never seen a rusted thin section box lintel manage to open up a mortar joint by 12mm.

It is fairly obvious to tell the difference between a length of angle and the outer edge of a much more flimsy pressed steel box lintel just by looking at it. If you chip away some of the mortar at the bearing you should be able to expose the edge of the steel lintel. It's a 5 minute job, send us another photo when you've done it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back