costa Coffee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Costa advertise 8 jobs and get 1,700 applications yet unemployment just dropped by 14,000.......work that one out :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Unemployment statistics are always being manipulated.

They send people off on a week's training course or a jobfinding scheme and they disappear from the figures for three months.

The jobs pay between £6.10 and £10 an hour.

So the job pays more than minimum wage, and you wonder why so many people apply?

Who says those applying are unemployed, maybe they already have lower paid ****ty jobs?

Sponsored Links
When i applied for the job i'm currently in there were 1500 applicants for 1 post........needless to say i didn't get the job :( but i was shortlisted down to the last 2 :LOL:

I eventually got the job when the company found out the guy that beat me to it totally blagged his way into the job and didn't have a clue.

At the time i was under A4E or whatever they decided to call new deal back then, my commitment to them was that i did all i could to find work, which meant attending every week to give a detailed run down of every single thing i did to find work including job ref's, company names, dates, job title, name of contact etc etc. At the same visit to their offices i had to do a job search using their computers, i was told i was not allowed to leave until i found and applied for 4 jobs! :eek:

Their commitment to me was that they WOULD find me a job with their extensive list of employers and vacancies that aren't even advertised anywhere else but saved especially for us dole scum!

Unfortunately A4E's idea of getting me a job was forcing jobs on me such as mens changing room cleaner at the local gym, waiter at a thai restaurant, cake decorator at Birds. They once found me a bench joiners job, they were deeply puzzled when i told them i wasn't a bench joiner and would not be appliying, they found me a shopfitters job too but seeing as i had no transport i told them i wouldn't be applying either, this got me a sanction and they stopped my money for 4 weeks, apparently it was acceptable to catch 1 bus and 2 trains to get to site tools in hand :confused:

Good job i found this job off my own back with no help from them, shame they got the government bonus for getting me of the dole, they emailed me once to tell me my £10 bonus was waiting there for me, told them to keep it, maybe buy some coffee!

Ay up Crank, I was on A4E about 2 yrs ago.. P**s up and Brewery, in the same sentence came to mind (as did the words, couldn't organise) They asked me to attend for some course on job search, I signed in and sat there for about half an hour, in plain view of the woman on reception. (I'd arrived about 5 minutes before the course was due to start) When I asked her when the course was starting , she said I should have gone to another room, but she'd forgotten to tell me.
While I was there, I reckon I had about 3 or 4 different people as my personal advisor (because they kept leaving)

A4E are as bad as Atos, so glad i got this job, constantly being bought down by them and told to apply for any job going (just so they get the bonus), so so glad those days are over

I wanted a job not be off pretending to be sick :mad:, my main argument was with the way they treat you, the way they would ignore all your experience and quals and just lump you into any job so your not a statistic and they get paid.

If they or the other government agencies spent more time and effort going after the real dole scroungers and made them jump through hoops for their £65 a week instead of going after the genuine out of work souls then they might get a bit more respect.

I know 2 guys who come into my other halfs barbers shop, ones an alcoholic who has never worked since i've known him (12 years), he's 55, the other is a well spoken 56 year old, parents were rich before they passed, well bought up, ran his own building company, quite intelligent but lost it all when he divorced and now lives in a rented 2 bed terraced in the middle of the asian community.

Neither guy gets any stick from the job centre, neither get sent on courses, neither get threatened with sanctions, neither are made to find work, the alcoholic doesn't even fill his job search book out and the other guy says he doesn't even sign on but instead gets tax credits automatically.

I on the other hand have worked since i left school in 1986 lost my job due to redundancy spent 18 months looking for work while at the same time made to feel like a 10 year old going to see the headmaster everytime i signed on, after 12 months of that i became 'New deal' or A4E material....wow wee!

Try saying 'you vill apply for any job ve find you' in a nazi accent 'or ve vill stop za money'

When i applied for the job i'm currently in there were 1500 applicants for 1 post........needless to say i didn't get the job :( but i was shortlisted down to the last 2 :LOL:

I eventually got the job when the company found out the guy that beat me to it totally blagged his way into the job and didn't have a clue.

At the time i was under A4E or whatever they decided to call new deal back then, my commitment to them was that i did all i could to find work, which meant attending every week to give a detailed run down of every single thing i did to find work including job ref's, company names, dates, job title, name of contact etc etc. At the same visit to their offices i had to do a job search using their computers, i was told i was not allowed to leave until i found and applied for 4 jobs! :eek:

Their commitment to me was that they WOULD find me a job with their extensive list of employers and vacancies that aren't even advertised anywhere else but saved especially for us dole scum!

Unfortunately A4E's idea of getting me a job was forcing jobs on me such as mens changing room cleaner at the local gym, waiter at a thai restaurant, cake decorator at Birds. They once found me a bench joiners job, they were deeply puzzled when i told them i wasn't a bench joiner and would not be appliying, they found me a shopfitters job too but seeing as i had no transport i told them i wouldn't be applying either, this got me a sanction and they stopped my money for 4 weeks, apparently it was acceptable to catch 1 bus and 2 trains to get to site tools in hand :confused:

Good job i found this job off my own back with no help from them, shame they got the government bonus for getting me of the dole, they emailed me once to tell me my £10 bonus was waiting there for me, told them to keep it, maybe buy some coffee!

Were there any jobs going at the women's gym??? :cool:

Unemployment statistics are always being manipulated.

They send people off on a week's training course or a jobfinding scheme and they disappear from the figures for three months.

Knowing how opposition M.P.'s would react and the 'optimistic/pessimistic sensitivity' surrounding employment figures at present, do you not think that the above would have been taken into consideration before publishing or are the tories that naive?

Or are you being naive John?

my main argument was with the way they treat you, the way they would ignore all your experience and quals and just lump you into any job

Not being funny, but isnt that what they are supposed to do?

I thought the way it worked is you are allowed x months to search only for the types of jobs you want/trained for, after that you have to apply for any old job or lose your dole.

?

Knowing how opposition M.P.'s would react
This manipulation had its greatest growth in Thatchers day, and has not stopped since.

Con and Lab have both done it shamelessly so neither can afford to criticise it too fiercely.

I would have thought ANY job would be welcome.....or tell you what - go and start a small business, providing a service that people want. It's what I have always done, and there is plenty of work out there if you are prepared to graft.

Most people are useless at everything - they can't provide any sort of service.

or tell you what - go and start a small business, providing a service that people want. It's what I have always done, and there is plenty of work out there if you are prepared to graft.

Already thought of that avenue, went as far as putting a business plan together with a business advisor who thought my idea was top class, he arranged an interview with the local chamber of commerce/business link to discuss any grants that were available, after they listened they said grants were available and offered me a grand :mad:

Sponsored Links
Back