Costing for garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking to put some stud walls in my garage and need to move the control box (I’m assuming that’s not the right terminology but I’m clueless unfortunately with electrics) the switches and lights before I put my walls up.

My question is what sort of money would I be looking at having to spend for a job like that and for them then to return to wire it all back up once I’ve completed the walls.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Just get 3 quotes. Very difficult to give an idea without seeing the job.

If it’s the main fuse box for the house I would say £1000 ish

If it involves moving the mains incoming supply/meter it will cost a LOT more.

Pics will help.

Sponsored Links
Sorry yeah should have put pics in, so the box runs off the main that goes along the fence from the front of the house which is that black cable, then it’s just a light switch and a light

Attachments

• 2714652E-F042-4D5A-AE34-C537981F8C0F.jpeg
    2714652E-F042-4D5A-AE34-C537981F8C0F.jpeg
    293.3 KB · Views: 319
  • 4C8D9EF6-0A9A-41CB-B609-D557261798D7.jpeg
    4C8D9EF6-0A9A-41CB-B609-D557261798D7.jpeg
    383.6 KB · Views: 307
  • 874E29B8-0413-47F2-8CF6-7E1D7939B58B.jpeg
    874E29B8-0413-47F2-8CF6-7E1D7939B58B.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 305
  • 67AD1A7B-8F1C-44F2-B422-37575068AE18.jpeg
    67AD1A7B-8F1C-44F2-B422-37575068AE18.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 329
As there is basically nothing there now, it's really a question of what you want in this building, as in how many lights / sockets / other.

Well I basically just want that stuff removing while I do my stud walls then for them to return to put it all back in again? Just not sure if the general cost this kind of job would be

It doesn't really work like that. You need to decide what you want before you build the walls.

It's also worth asking what you think the stud walls contribute to a garage.

I’m just putting walls up to seal it better so I can put a drum kit in there, I just want it how it is set up now but obviously I need them out the way whilst I do other work

Not that I think it will save complaints from neighbours - but you would also need a new ceiling. Presumably you are considering sound-proofing behind all these wall and ceiling? In my experience it usually doesn't work very well.

Sorry it’s an electric drum kit, which is actually too loud in the house as it’s upstairs on laminate flooring hence the move to the garage, stop her moaning. So it’s purely for a more comfortable room to play in that isn’t just a brick room that’s all, I’ll be insulating the walls and ceiling then plasterboarding that’s all.

Electric drum kit will need a power supply. You will have space in the 'fuse box' to wire in a couple of sockets BEFORE you put up the stud walls.
You, or rather your electrician, would simply run a cable to the place(s) where it would be convenient to have a few sockets. Leave a loop at each position and poke it through a hole in the stud wall. Once all the walls are in place simply connect up the sockets, connect to the 'fuse box' and away you go.

Well I was hoping it’d be as simple as that. So then they just come back at a later date to wire it all back up again? I know they all differ but would you have any idea how much this would cost me roughly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back