Costs for kitchen electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've had an extension done for a kitchen diner which included some electrical work, sockets and lighting, but we've got some extra work done as well. I just wanted to check average costs as some of the extra charges seemed a bit high (some seem fine) but before I think about saying anything I wanted to check that I'm not being unreasonable.

These are the costs:
Extending the original wiring for a cooker and wiring up cooker - £80
an additional spur for a socket - £40
additional spotlights (wire and supply 2 on an existing pendant circuit) - £110

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

We've had an extension done for a kitchen diner which included some electrical work, sockets and lighting, but we've got some extra work done as well. I just wanted to check average costs as some of the extra charges seemed a bit high (some seem fine) but before I think about saying anything I wanted to check that I'm not being unreasonable.

These are the costs:

Thanks

Which of those do you think a bit high?

Sounds fairly reasonable to me. If you had standard downlights with halogen lamps then I might say the downlights were a bit costly but I imagine they were LED, either integrated or retrofit, which makes the material cost often double what a standard halogen fitting would be.

Hi

These are the costs:

Thanks
Which of those do you think a bit high?
And, Kitsune, why do you think they are high? What do you think they should cost?

Sponsored Links
How long did it take him.
That's what made me question, the wiring for the cooker took about 15mins. I don't know about connecting the cooker up and testing but it was a standard duel fuel so only one connection, so £80 sounded high for an hours or so work.

If each was a seperate job in a different place the price for each job seems fair, as you would price in getting to the job etc. Considering these were all being done at the same time and alongside other jobs (sockets and lighting in the extension) I would have thought there would be some economies of scale as the jobs overlap each other. I don't think they're extortionate just a bit on the high side and wanted to check if they seemed reasonable. Also he quoted well over 400 quid to put in led plinth lighting (stick on rope type) for approx 10m, which set off the am I being taken for a ride alarm bells and made me question the rest of the prices.

Did he give you a quote for these jobs and he has charged you what he has quoted, or did you hire him on a time plus materials basis? Is there VAT?

If on a quote, one always has to hedge some bets. Especially with ceiling lighting you don't really know what you are going to face until you start the job:
Is the floor above easily accessible, is it chipboard sheets (horrid), are there hidden extra joists, RSJs in the way turning what appears to be a 1 hour job into a 4 hour one...

Looking at the list, he may have needed to set aside a day for that lot. Travel to site, unload, start work. Lets say 5 hours waving a screwdriver, pack up. Travel back, do paperwork, Minor works certificate, generate invoice, Then i expect you'll pay him by cheque, trudge out to the bank to pay it in.

Even if he did finish up at 3pm, what is he supposed to do with the rest of the day??

Some before & after pictures would help. Or at lease, a bit of detail.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back