Could planning possibly be refused??

Can't see any reason why this would not be allowed under planning rules unless it was converted to flats recently. If it was then the permission granted is likely to be based on the approved plans so you could not then add extra bedrooms without getting it approved again. Best to get a lawful development certificate from the council before you start.

Also you might have issues with building regs as loft rooms will need windows for ventilation

Sponsored Links
I think it's certainly possible the LA might object - depends on what their policy is in the area on subdividing properties.
There's a lot of difference between making a self contained internal division - eg a granny flat which would possibly only need BR approval, and subdividing a property into two separate dwellings - due to changing the character of the area, parking etc.
Best of luck.

I fell asleep and seem to have missed all the fun

Anyway, with no external alterations, a loft conversion would be an internal alteration, and thus exempt from planning permission

Thanks Woody.

Can I just expand the question a little? Let's say you would like to add front rooflights. If the identical property next door has them (may have been built that way from scratch in 1978) does the council have any grounds to refuse?

Many thanks

Thanks Bataman but the property would not be subdivided, it would still be one maisonette. It would just have an additional bedroom.

Sponsored Links
All applications should be decided in terms of local policy and impact on the area and neighbours

I can't see why a local policy would prevent conversions, and I can't see how rooflights in the roof plane could impact significantly on the area or neighbours to warrant refusal - but each application is assessed on its own merits and in some extreme (and very rare) circumstances, rooflights may be a planning concern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back