Could Russia hang on a bit till we get the right diversity to fight them

I already got a job.

What's your solution?
I'm content with the proposed policy of adjusting recruitment policy to increase the proportion of ethnic minority and females in the military.
When the racist and sexist culture has been eliminated, the recruitment policy can resort to its normal.

Sponsored Links
I'm content with the proposed policy of adjusting recruitment policy to increase the proportion of ethnic minority and females in the military.
When the racist and sexist culture has been eliminated, the recruitment policy can resort to its normal.
You seem to suggest the way to eliminate racism and sexism is to increase the proportion of ethnic men and women in the military - what proportion do you think would be necessary to achieve this?

I think Andy has been watching too many movies and I will say no more other than all rough, tuff, stroppy types causing problems in the general public area - ballcocks. If I used the correct word it would be edited out. There may be odd instances just as there is with the general public.

Just when did these people come back from war and cause problems? We haven't exactly had a lot of wars. Some forces people do find it surprising that they have been more likely to see action post the cold war. I know that from general talk with a few. There was a similar reaction when troops were sent to Ireland. There have always been odd what are sometimes called secret wars - advisors etc sent in. Totally different subject.

what proportion do you think would be necessary to achieve this?
Seems some ignore actual current figures. Excluding women but if the population was 50% female could the forces be? It's currently ~11%

Fact is that the % of none white in the UK population is ~13%. The comes
At 1 April 2021, BAME personnel represented: 2.7 per cent of Officers and 10.6 per cent of Other Ranks in the UK Regular Forces. 4.4 per cent of Officers
Do the sum, 2.7% and 10.6%

You seem to suggest the way to eliminate racism and sexism is to increase the proportion of ethnic men and women in the military - what proportion do you think would be necessary to achieve this?
I wasn't seeming to suggest, I was suggesting. ;)
Of course it should go hand in hand with education, etc.
But for me targets are not a once in a generation type of tool. They're more of intermediate point to achieve, and to stop, consider what has been achieved, can more be done, is it enough so far, etc. And of course targets and achieving them is not the be-all and end-all. They are tools for achieving something else, and it's important to always bear that in mind.
But as aJohn suggests, a proportion replicating that of the general population seems to be a sensible initial target.

Sponsored Links
But as aJohn suggests, a proportion replicating that of the general population seems to be a sensible initial target.
Yes but current numbers say the forces are not racist in terms of employment. I don't think there is all that much new about that.

Go more granular within the various jobs in the forces and things may be totally different. One reason for that could be aspirations and qualifications. Even upbringing and parents circumstances etc can have effects on all what ever they are. Entirely different subject that can even relate to where some one lives.

Yes but current numbers say the forces are not racist in terms of employment. I don't think there is all that much new about that.
The adoption of targets is obviously working. It's difficult to be discriminatory when there are targets to be met.

But there's still some way to go.

I wasn't seeming to suggest, I was suggesting. ;)
Of course it should go hand in hand with education, etc.
But for me targets are not a once in a generation type of tool. They're more of intermediate point to achieve, and to stop, consider what has been achieved, can more be done, is it enough so far, etc. And of course targets and achieving them is not the be-all and end-all. They are tools for achieving something else, and it's important to always bear that in mind.
Recruitment for the Armed Forces doesn't really work that way, especially in peace time, so i don't know how that kind of system will work in practice. You can't simply put out an order for 5,000 women to fill jobs if those people aren't suited or inclined for the job. Or even say we must have 10,000 men of African or Indian descent. Both orders would fall foul of racial and sex discrimination.

Recruitment for the Armed Forces doesn't really work that way, especially in peace time, so i don't know how that kind of system will work in practice. You can't simply put out an order for 5,000 women to fill jobs if those people aren't suited or inclined for the job. Or even say we must have 10,000 men of African or Indian descent. Both orders would fall foul of racial and sex discrimination.
The positions also have to be available. This is probably up to date

The minimum length of service in each branch of the forces is as follows:1Army (over 18s): Four years Army (under 18s): Until 22nd birthday Navy: Three and a half years after completion of training or four years' service, whichever is longer Air force: Three years after completion of training or four years' service whichever is longer In 1999 the army increased its minimum length of service from 3 to 4 years. Army recruits under 18 years old are required to serve up to 2 years longer than a recruit who joins aged over 18 and so commits to up to 6 year’s service when still a minor. When forces personnel reach the end of their minimum length of service, they must give a year’s notice (in the army or navy) or 18 months (in the air force). Recruits may be required to serve for longer than the usual period if they undertake education or training other than their initial training. The extension can be longer than the length of the course.

Most recent up to date info on years of service is mentioned here. Couldn't find anything else.

Changing ethnic make up quickly looks to be a bit tricky to me so how did it get as it is.

Career prospects. Probably pretty good after leaving in a number of none related areas. Pass really. I do know one ex RAF who worked in the same office as me. Some sort of deal sorted out that included further training. Software in this case. When a friend of his decided to enlist he phoned some one in the RAF to help get him a certain type of position. The example he gave was a nice sounding title but in practice being a petrol pump attendant. I also sold a lathe to a bloke in the USA forces who maintained fighters. Nice title but he pulled a face and said really it's just box changing.

Sponsored Links
Back