Could this possibly be a load bearing wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

we have a wall in our bedroom that we want to remove. I don’t think it is load bearing and purely a design feature? Any advice how to proceed?

thank you

Attachments

• ACA92CC3-C426-4B7C-95E6-9EF4AD64C169.jpeg
    ACA92CC3-C426-4B7C-95E6-9EF4AD64C169.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 137
  • ED2DE928-84BE-4B3F-8DBF-E86DE8060073.jpeg
    ED2DE928-84BE-4B3F-8DBF-E86DE8060073.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 125
Sponsored Links
Looks to be a design feature. Is is an upstairs bedroom? If it's load bearing, is that feature sitting on a load bearing wall in the room below?

Thanks that’s an excellent point, the wall is on the 1st floor and there is no corresponding wall in the room below. I will start by taking off bits of the plasterboard to have a look inside. I’m assuming unless there is a rigid structure under the plasterboard it must be purely cosmetic.

Is that (horrible imho) 'feature wall' in a block of flats? Can you get above the ceiling to see what is there? Are the floors concrete?
And is the place leasehold- if yes you probably need to talk to the leaseholder before disturbing fixtures and fittings. Wouldn't surprise me to find pipework or cabling going bottom to top in those verticals

Sponsored Links
It's a timber frame house, downstairs suspended floor concrete, upstairs timber beams, I believe the 'metal web joist' type. One complication is that floor has underfloor heating (water) so we need to be careful not to rupture any pipes. I'm sure there is wiring (I hope going down from the loft) as there are sockets and light switches on the wall. I will go up in the loft and take some more photos :)

Last edited:
Just to explain, the bed was against the wall but with babies on the way we're trying to utilise the space better. Rotating the bed 90 degrees and removing the wall makes a lot more sense. I admit I'm nervous about taking it down, I did try to find local builders for quotes but no luck but no luck so far :/

Just make a small hole in the plasterboard on both of the two posts to see whats inside before you go at it full demo mode.. I think they're unlikely to be load-bearing, but probably cables/pipework running up into the loft.
Can you get up in the loft and see whats above?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back