Couple of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, when sleeving the conductors on a 6mm 3 core SWA is it ok to use insulations tape? Or would heat shrink be better? Or perhaps another option i haven't even considered yet?

Also, when the MET/MEB is outside of the consumer unit, what label should be fitted next to it? Any links to them would be great as I'm struggling to ind them at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Hi, when sleeving the conductors on a 6mm 3 core SWA is it ok to use insulations tape? Or would heat shrink be better? Or perhaps another option i haven't even considered yet?
Yes you may use tape although it doesn't stick very well when wrapped around.
You can just put it around the conductor so that it sticks to itself, if you see what I mean.
Heat shrink would be better but any means of identification is acceptable.

Also, when the MET/MEB is outside of the consumer unit, what label should be fitted next to it? Any links to them would be great as I'm struggling to ind them at the moment.
It should have a "Electrical safety connection - do not remove" label attached but for some reason the MET rarely seems to have one fitted.

Tape is permitted but sleeving is nicer.

A durable label to BS 951 with the words 'Safety electrical connection - Do not remove' shall be permanently fixed in a visible position at or near the main earthing terminal, where seperate from main switch gear.

Damn! I was too slow again!

Yup, you'll just have to sacrifice a bonding clamp for a stamped label. Painful, but better than using a sticker that's gonna come off in 6 months

Sponsored Links
Tape can be used
Heatshrink is probably better
PVC sleeving can be obtained in larger sizes
Cable can be obtained which has the correct colour cores inside.

I have come across 6mm sleeving from RS, will that be large enough for 6mm SWA cores? i know the numbers add up, but I'm thinking it could be a tight squeeze.

I thought it was 'Safety electrical connection - do not remove' but i was struggling to find metal labels rather than stickers, i never thought to use one from a bonding clamp, thanks for the tip :)

I have come across 6mm sleeving from RS, will that be large enough for 6mm SWA cores? i know the numbers add up, but I'm thinking it could be a tight squeeze.

I would say not.

I can't get 3mm earth sleeving over a 2.5mm2 cable, so you won't get 6mm sleeving over a 6mm2 cable.

I would say not.

I can't get 3mm earth sleeving over a 2.5mm2 cable, so you won't get 6mm sleeving over a 6mm2 cable.

I can't remember ever having trying to do it (I've got a nice heat shrink selection), it is baggy as anything over 6mm cpc though. Reckon you could get two lengths in if you really tried

But the copper in 2.5mm² is 1.78mm across (according to the wiki) and as 3mm sleeving doesn't fit - that's a given, we'll call the insulation 1.22mm. But, 6mm² copper is only 3.13mm across, 3.13+1.22=4.35mm across. Even allowing a whole 1mm for thicker insulation (it's not that much thicker), it's still not 6mm wide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back