Couple really move house

Sponsored Links
Been done before in this country.

The trick is to make it extremely stiff, acheived by framing out inside and all structural openings. Then dig underneath as if underpinning, to install a grillage of beams, once all in and connected to the upper framing, then jack the building up, in go the dollies and off you go - slowly!

There was a series on the box about these types of moves, from churches to houses etc

They basically jack the whole thing up and off they go, the hard bit is manouvering it to where it needs to end up, hills and other obstacles usually had to be dealt with but the ones i watched they managed it

Cant see them doing it over here much with the width of our roads.

it's quite often done over there...

odds are it had a basement.. ( many do ) and wsa constructed in such a way that the house sits on top of the ground floor pad..

easy job to jack it up off it's foundations and slide it onto the beams..

more impressive was one I saw on TOH with steve and norm..

someone wanted to raise their house to avoid floods in hurricane area..

jacked the whole house up about 9 foot and put a new ground floor under it.. storage and garage etc.. non living quarters..

Sponsored Links
Okay, next question :p

I'm assuming the house will go onto a solid bed concrete leaving all the RSJ's resting on it?

it'll most likely have a basement or half basement made for it..

they roll it in place, then jack it up and create the piers and such to support it then lower it onto it's new foundations..

I believe that the program was called mega moves..

they moved a control tower at some UK aiport to make room for another runway or something..

we do move historic houses over here, but we tend to do it brick by brick and then re-build them

in fact...

enjoy.... enjoy some more .... and many many more on youtube..

it'll most likely have a basement or half basement made for it..

they roll it in place, then jack it up and create the piers and such to support it then lower it onto it's new foundations..

I believe that the program was called mega moves..

they moved a control tower at some UK aiport to make room for another runway or something..

we do move historic houses over here, but we tend to do it brick by brick and then re-build them

heathrow for terminal 5 ;)

so I wasn't paying attention really.. :rolleyes:

check out the youtube links.. the theatre one is very impressive..

IIRC the control tower was actually brand new and was designed to be moved.

IIRC they built and moved it rather than building it in place because the place it was going into was surrounded by runways/taxiways and so would have been a very difficult location to construct anything in.

it's not like they tied a rope round it and dragged it across the runway..

they jacked it up and put it on top of about 100 pneumatic wheels..

it's also probably a lot easier on the tarmac than a 747 comming in to land and screeching the brakes on..

Funnily enough its in use, they are trying to work out if this aeroplane can take off or not. Actually its a really interesting problem, the conveyor moves in opposition to the plane and........ if you're interested we could discuss it further?

As EVERYONE acknowledges that the plane, WILL take off, can't see much point in further discussion......... ;)

Sponsored Links
Back