Cracked radiator!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys...
I've got an old single layer central heating radiator.

it is the first radiator that receives the very hot water from the combi boiler, so i always set the valve to open halfway but it was still very hot.

anyway, yesterday i noticed two small tiny cracks on the surface near the corner on the top. there was small amount of water bleeding and its color was brownish.

When i inspected the radiator, it felt so soft! i thought the metal was MELTING!

i shut down the feeding valve and now it is cold.

can you please suggest an easy way to seal that crack? i'm just normal guy and have no experience in sealing stuff but i thought of soldering?!

i thought of buying this from amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-60w-Soldering-Iron/dp/B003JBJX7S/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

and this wire from maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/lead-free-silver-solder-34965

i believe i just need to put that lead wire over the crack and melt it using that soldering iron?

am i right in this or you think there is better solution?

Sponsored Links
New radiator required. You cannot solder rads. A single panel rad is only a few quid.

No way, unfortunately - you need a new radiator.
A temporary fix could be probably made with epoxy putty if you're desperate.
Isolate the rad by turning both valves completely off.
John :)

I guess the new rad would cost around £120 PLUS the cost of installation.

But what if the new rad is shorter?!

i mean the current one width is 220cm= 2200mm with 60cm high.

i searched the internet and found the new double panel which i think better, but most of them are not the long, they are maximum 1600mm... so how to over come this shortage in length will the install just extend the pipe from the vvalveto the rad?

I-V-HHHHHHHHHH-----V-I

Sponsored Links
You can get a 2200 long but you'd need to contact a merchants they are not an off the shelf rad due to the length and likely cost more.

You could get a shorter rad and make it up with extensions they come in 20,30,40mm or put s section of chrome pipe between the valve and rad.

Both look a bit of a dogs dinner so it would be more sightly to whip a floor up(if they are wooden) and extended the pipework under the floor

Go to a decent merchant such as Plumbase or similar they stock rads up to 2500mm next day delivery at worst!! and Rads ain't that expensive! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back