Cracks in verge mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Had work done on roof recently and a few cracks are appearing in the mortar - all quite wide (see ref pic attached).

Be grateful if someone can say how much of an issue this will be as roofer ghosting us. Unsure if ok because tiles on top and sheeting below should do the job?

Thanks

Attachments

• BB44A807-60CF-46FB-BEDD-44F02FF1E2BC.jpeg
    BB44A807-60CF-46FB-BEDD-44F02FF1E2BC.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 96EB76FF-2537-4A8C-91D3-D87A9EFF0CD4.jpeg
    96EB76FF-2537-4A8C-91D3-D87A9EFF0CD4.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 154
Sponsored Links
This is why dry verge is the new way. Probably the mortar was too wet or not enough sharp sand.

I'd be more interested in the lack of guttering, is that going to be rectified?

Thanks for your response!
Yes, that is being fixed, so it’s the cracks I’m concerned about. What is the solution? Is it a big issue?

Looking again it might also be too thin a layer, the verge course should be kicked up a bit.
To do it properly it would be rake out and rebed the whole verge but you could probably do a bit of patching. You don't want to leave potentially loose lumps of mortar up above your head either way.

Sponsored Links
Looking at the depth of bed i would guess the original roof was slate. The slate batten would have butted into the back of the molding.
when the roof was replaced the tiling battens were also butted into the rear of the molding and the under cloak tacked on top not under.
The outer tile nib was knocked off and the tiles bedded up. Unfortunately this leaves a shallow weak bed of mortar. and sometimes tiles can slip and mortar crack.

Of course there is the extra weight over hanging the free air beside the bay, could be a bit of sag?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back