crash repair and pricing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, could do with bit of advise, had a scrap with another car other day, anyway no damage to mine but other car (skoda, but forgot what model) needs new front wing, anyway were sorting this privatly rarther than going through insurance and he called today and said the cost of the repair would be £1200 ! does this sound right? or is he trying to get more money out of me that the job is worth? so its remove and renew front wing and paint to mach for £1200. any adivse is welcome. thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the front wing was the only damage that sounds expensive, although the wing will have to be painted to match. If its a popular car you might get a wing in the correct colour from ebay for very little money. If I were you I would ask for a detailed estimate.

Peter

I think thats over the top, but I'd be surprised if the bumper survived totally......there's also rustproofing to be done.
Politely ask for another quote, maybe from a bodyshop of your choice.....and say you'll pay cash. Never fails :p
John :)

from the look at the damage iv seen its just the wing, side of my car scraped side of the skoda, a relative who used to work in bodywork (number of years back now though) did say that up to him finishing, skodas were never that expnsive anyway to fix and body pannels were some of the cheapest going compared to other makes.
I will add that the bodyshop whats given the estimate is a large "insurance approved"... one, although local there known for being expensive but for just a wing, supply and fit then spray to mach i thought £1200 was expensive.

Sponsored Links
look him in the eye and say 'AT THAT BLOODY PRICE 'im going down the insurance route,bet he starts to squirm.
had a very similar experience when i 1st started to drive in the end turned out the other guy wasnt insured, :LOL:

would have to sort it cash anyway as iv not been drivng that long and my insurance comes with a £3000 exess so id still have to pay, so unless he pays through his insurance then its cash. just shocked when he came with the £1200 price for a cheap car with cheap parts.

would have to sort it cash anyway as iv not been drivng that long and my insurance comes with a £3000 exess so id still have to pay, so unless he pays through his insurance then its cash. just shocked when he came with the £1200 price for a cheap car with cheap parts.

HOLYF...

3k,wot a bloody rip off.
im looking forward to next year when my eldest wants to start to learn to drive then ask for CAR,the way things are going he wont afford 1 until hes about 25.

yeah its a rip off, my insurance for a 1.3 astra is £2500 per year and £3000 exess, if i wanted a normal exess like £500 comp and say £250 voluntary then id be looking at about £6/7000 and some firms "more than" being one even qouted £15,000 my reply was "if i could afford that a year for insurance i wouldnt be driving a car worth £3000".

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

HOLYF...

3k,wot a bloody rip off.
im looking forward to next year when my eldest wants to start to learn to drive then ask for CAR,the way things are going he wont afford 1 until hes about 25.

are you sure its its 3k and not 300 sounds to excessive for any reputable company to demand, front wing and respray 1/2 a days work if that: front wing bolts on respray time around an hour curing time 1/2 hr to an hour if infared light is used an hour in drying room overnight if left to cure on its own.

just for gregers directline quote 1,100.00 for a seat ibiza 1.2(basic model) for a ninteen year old licence less than a year full comp excess 400

yes im 100% sure its £3000. direct line qouted me £5600 fully comp. unless as iv found insurance companies dont seem to like vauxhalls. going of the replies here sounds like £1200 is a rip off.

1200 sounds high to me too, try ringin round a few body shops not main dealers you might find it considerable cheaper

called a few local bodywork places today and even the most expensive was £500 so right alway, less than half the first price, rest were all about £300-350.

cant be certain but may have been metalic, or just a very clean royal blue.

Sponsored Links
Back