Credit from liquidated energy company

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bristol Energy went into liquidation, with whom I had an advised credit balance of £86.08, but there were no actually energy bills just a costing versus credit I had paid.

BritishGas picked up my contract and having now asked them, they don't seem to know anything about any pre-existing credit on my account. I am wondering just how long to leave in before trying to progress it further - what are the rules please?

Sponsored Links
The credit is supposed to be passed to Ofgem by the adminstrator of the bust energy company who it turn transfer it to you new supplier. It can take a few weeks.

have you checked your bristol on line account to see if a bill has been generated for some or all the time since they went bust ??

have you checked your bristol on line account to see if a bill has been generated for some or all the time since they went bust ??

Yes, as I suggested above - they listed the three direct debits since the last proper bill, shown the total of credit, then just shown an actual amount deducted for consumption, with no details of consumption, then finally the amount of credit left £86.08. The official swap of provider date was 4th Feb..

Sponsored Links
I was with Iresa who went bust and I was transferrred to Octopus.

We had a hearty email exchange where they offered me virtually naff all and I had to work my way up to the actual £250+ credit that I had. I had to supply all the paperwork and readings before they would take me seriously. But got it in the end.

I was moved to British Gas from Peoples Energy. £400 credit which transferred ok but it was months after BG took over.

I was with Neon Reef and had £46 credit when they went through. Bg notified me last month that they had transferred the money to my BG account

I was moved to British Gas from Peoples Energy. £400 credit which transferred ok but it was months after BG took over.

Didn't OFCOM set some limit on how long they could hang onto credit after being moved? I'm not desperate for it, but better in my pocket than theirs..

£190 credit with People's Energy, taken over by Brit Gas middle if Sept last year. The £190 was paid direct to Brit Gas and it appeared on my statement on Monday.

£190 credit with People's Energy, taken over by Brit Gas middle if Sept last year. The £190 was paid direct to Brit Gas and it appeared on my statement on Monday.

5/ 6 months, seems an awfully long time for a company to get away with hanging onto credit.

[EDIT] I have just checked my statements and it looks as if both Bristol Energy and British Gas are claiming payments for energy. So I am not only in credit, I am paying twice for it :(

Last edited:
Offgen site says...

Suppliers have:

• six weeks from a switch to send a final bill
  • 10 working days from a final bill to refund a credit balance
  • 10 working days from identifying a standards breach to automatically compensate you. They could owe a further £30 if they don’t meet the compensation timeline.
[EDIT] I have now rung my bank and put a stop to Bristol Energy claiming their monthly DD, for energy they are not supplying. My bank say because the company is in administration, they cannot make a chargeback on moneys they have already taken - I would have to chase offgen for that..

Anyone else ex-Bristol, best stop their DD with the bank.

Last edited:
i was £200 in credit payments where £68 when utility point went under so i cancelled my d/d on line [lloyds] and on the third direct payment i payed £100 to edf as that should keep me up to date
a few days later they let me set up a d/d but had to pay £17 outstanding as the amount outstanding was £117 this was even though i had £24 credit yet to transfer from up
but as said on the other thread money took around 4 months to swap money to the new account
the actual figures dont match as the unit cost changed at the switch date that was mid bill

Last edited:
My letter from BG about the changeover was mid Sept but BG actually started charging me from 12th October. I was paying £124/month which went up to £230 with BG. With the £190 PE credit just having landed I'm still in credit at the moment but with rates rising on 1st April it's hard to tell how that might change? I'm happy to let it run for the moment and see what it looks like in a few months.

Sponsored Links
Back