Crossing The Road

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/brother-and-sister-injured-in-hit-and-run-1269704

The children’s uncle, Aroon Rafique, blasted: "What kind of person leaves two children lying there just bleeding in the road? It’s disgusting."

I blast: "What kind of guardians let two children (one of which is a 10 year old looking after a 2 year old) cross the road on their own?"

Don't get me wrong, it's a horrible thing to happen and the driver is a sh*t, but don't the guardians accept any blame for them being there in the first place?

Sponsored Links
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/brother-and-sister-injured-in-hit-and-run-1269704

The children’s uncle, Aroon Rafique, blasted: "What kind of person leaves two children lying there just bleeding in the road? It’s disgusting."

I blast: "What kind of guardians let two children (one of which is a 10 year old looking after a 2 year old) cross the road on their own?"

Don't get me wrong, it's a horrible thing to happen and the driver is a sh*t, but don't the guardians accept any blame for them being there in the first place?

I agree. The whole focus of news reports was on the fact that the driver didn't stop. I know he should have stopped but maybe he panicked. We all do strange things when under stress. It was almost as if finding the driver would make evereything ok. As you say, why aren't the police looking into the fact that a two year old was running an errand with his 10 year old sister.

I'll bet this thread would not have been posted had the childrens' family been white.

What makes you say that ?

There's nothing racist in any of this thread.

It is an absolute tragedy, and I hope the driver is found and prosecuted, it's a despicable thing to do - hit and run.
However, whatever the colour of the children, they shouldn't be out crossing the road at that age without an adult.

Sponsored Links
Well, I suppose I've got to agree there is that undelying trend.

I try to look at the points on their merit and ignore the underlying implications of the mis-guided.

However, whatever the colour of the children, they shouldn't be out crossing the road at that age without an adult.
Out of interest, at what age would you consider a child sensible enough to be able to nip across to the local corner shop unaccompanied? Back in the 60s in inner London I would walk a mile to infants school accompanied by my sister who is 3 years older than me until she went to secondary school whereupon I would accompany my 3-years younger brother. Yes, traffic was lighter but I don't know that the risk was any less and we understood the dangers. Fear of abduction which seems to predominate in today's parents' thinking didn't seem to be such an issue then. But is the real risk of that any greater nowadays?

Well, you said it, back in the 60s.

Traffic was not only lighter, it was virtually non-existant compared with today's traffic.

I assume from your tale of the old days that since you were on your way to school, neither you or your siblings was 2 years old at the time?

Just because people do things, now or then, it doesn't make it right.

it doesn't make it right.

Doesn't make it wrong either.

Children are treated like children for far longer these days, the result is immature <20s with no sense of responsibility.

A 10 year old should be perfectly capable of looking after a 2 year old in regards to crossing the road, though I wouldn't encourage it exactly.

[quote="AronSearle";p="A 10 year old should be perfectly capable of looking after a 2 year old in regards to crossing the road, though I wouldn't encourage it exactly.[/quote]

If you left a 10 year old at home on their own looking after a 2 year old, you would be open to prosecution for abandoning both children

So if they can't be left on their own in a house, how can they be legally capable of caring for a 2 year when crossing the road ?

The fact that you wouldn't encourage it exactly proves that you don't think it's right ! :confused: :confused:

The GD forum stinks of racism and so do many of the regulars who post here.

Hope that's not aimed at me. Their race had absolutely nothing to do with it. I posted the story because I read it in my newspaper.

So, if the story, for whatever reason, had not made it into the paper, I would not have posted about it.

It does not matter who the parents or guardians are - I believe it is not safe to let a 10 year old be responsible for a 2 year old - no way!!

I would baulk at letting one of my sons cross a main road at 10 on their own, let alone be responsible for one of their younger siblings.

What were the parents thinking?

So if they can't be left on their own in a house, how can they be legally capable of caring for a 2 year when crossing the road ?

Are you arguing about the legality of it, or the morality of it?

Before using "it's the law" as justification for a moral stance, remember being gay used to be illegal, as well as shooting Scotsmen with bows.

The fact that you wouldn't encourage it exactly proves that you don't think it's right ! icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif

Trying to hard.

[quote="AronSearle";p="2490349Are you arguing about the legality of it, or the morality of it?.[/quote]

Both

[quote="AronSearle";p="2490349
Before using "it's the law" as justification for a moral stance, remember being gay used to be illegal, as well as shooting Scotsmen with bows.

[/quote]

So shooting scotsmen with bows is legal now then is it ?

Sponsored Links
Back