CU change pricing?

Sponsored Links
ROB,

Would be interesting to see the bakelite??? front to that wooden wylex board tested the same way!, though I'd imagine its less flameable than the newer wylex tested!!!.

I'm not sure what type they are, but they're somewhere in between the explosive boxes, and the super flexible ones. To be honest, I'm not even sure I would know what formaldehyde smelt like - maybe we're talking about the same smell, but your olfactory memory associates it with the closest thing it knows (I don't partake in said plant, just thought that needed clearing up)
I'm sure :) ... but I'm not sure that I know these 'in-between' boxes you're talking about. Formaldehyde has an evil, 'pungent', smell. It's actually a gas at room temp/pressure, so you may know it as 'formalin' which is what it's called when dissolved in water. Did you ever dissect dead animals at school - if so, they may well have been preserved in formalin (sometimes phenol). Have you ever drilled/sawn 'Paxolin' - that also usually produces a formaldehyde smell.

Kind FRegards, John

Sponsored Links
ROB, Would be interesting to see the bakelite??? front to that wooden wylex board tested the same way!, though I'd imagine its less flameable than the newer wylex tested!!!.
Indeed. I actually suspect that he would be quite hard-pressed to get Bakelite to burn in the same sense that the flimsy Wylex one did, even with his blowtorch. Maybe we're going to go around in a 100-year circle and start using Bakelite CUs again!

BTW, I have a feeling that the later Wylex Standards used a material which, although it looked similar, was not Bakelite.

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure :) ... but I'm not sure that I know these 'in-between' boxes you're talking about. Formaldehyde has an evil, 'pungent', smell. It's actually a gas at room temp/pressure, so you may know it as 'formalin' which is what it's called when dissolved in water. Did you ever dissect dead animals at school - if so, they may well have been preserved in formalin (sometimes phenol). Have you ever drilled/sawn 'Paxolin' - that also usually produces a formaldehyde smell
Never dissected animals at school, missed that by a few years. The best we got was to watch a teacher dissect a lung.
Also had to google what Paxolin was, so I doubt I've ever worked with it. I am curious now though

He was actually a PE teacher who taught Biology as his 2nd subject, so I think he found it more interesting than most

Never dissected animals at school, missed that by a few years. The best we got was to watch a teacher dissect a lung.
Ah well. It's probably all phenolics, rather than formalin, these days, anyway
Also had to google what Paxolin was, so I doubt I've ever worked with it. I am curious now though
Old, cheap (i.e. not fibreglass) PCBs, matrix boards etc' - although even that is also probably all phenolic ('SRBP') these days.

Kind Regards, John

What I want to know, is why did that NSB board burn up so easily. I seem to remember an experiment in school where a a flame retardant was mixed up, a fiver was painted in it and it was held over a bunson burner without any ill effects. That CU looked like it had no resistance to flame whatsoever.

One NYE I attended a recently wired property, 40A electric heating boiler. Cables (6mm feed and some 1.5 controls cables) had been first fixed comming out the boiler cupboard wall. when the boiler went in, singles in flexi conduit had been used to make the connection to the appliance, the joint consisted of a plastic adaptable box with connector blocks in. 15A connector blocks had been used and I also assume not tightened much. The adaptable box had caught fire and had to be put out by the new homeowner who was luckily in at the time. Half the box was completely melted and drips of hot plastic had started falling on the carpet. I returned next day and ended up fitting a metal adaptable box with DIN rail terminals. I'm not sure that despite my recommendations that the other properties were checked, though I did hear a few months later that a CU melted and had to be swapped

What I want to know, is why did that NSB board burn up so easily. I seem to remember an experiment in school where a a flame retardant was mixed up, a fiver was painted in it and it was held over a bunson burner without any ill effects. That CU looked like it had no resistance to flame whatsoever.
True, but in response to a very violent 'ignition source'! I suspect that if Rob tried repeating his experiment with something even remotely similar to the sort of 'fire source' likely to exist within a CU (rather than a blow torch!) he might well struggle to get much in the way of flames out of even the plastic one.

Kind Regards, John

I'll have a look and see if I've got any old wylex fronts in the graveyard. I only normally save the backs to strip the brass and copper out of them. I'll also try a plastic wylex with a glowing wire. I was quite surprised at how well the plastic CU caught fire and kept burning. I had to abandon the test as it was depositing soot all over me and my workshop and the smoke was really noxious.

I'll tell you what material would be seriously flame retardant: Quebracho!

The best we got was to watch a teacher dissect a lung.
The bleedin' heart liberal softies have put a stop to that now. Can't even give 'em a tap on the wrist these days. In my day when you got your lung dissected it taught you respect, and you didn't do whatever it was you'd done a second time, that's for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back