CU change pricing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, plain and simple Just wondering how much you guys normally charge for a CU change??

Are there any factors you take into consideration??

Just after an average price really

Sponsored Links
Valid question

At the moment it's got 2 32A ring mains, 2 6A lighting circuits, a 40A cooker circuit and a 20A central heating circuit for boiler

No rcd protection at the moment just those mcbs (hence the upgrade)

Average sized 3 bedroom semi detached house

In that case it will be about the same as a 1- or 2-night break for 2 people.

Sponsored Links
A: Is there a reason for the upgrade?
Are you adding new circuits - in which case - yes additional protection (RCD) will be required.
But if not then see A.
If I was doing a straight CU swap with no new circuits (and importantly - the ability to fully isolate the circuit without DNO involvement) I would first price the cost of what is known as an Electrical Condition Report before setting a price for the new board. The reason being I don't want to change the board and then find out all the problems that may have built up over the years as circuits have been added to or altered.

The price of the ECR would be based on the number and type of circuits you have - the more Ring Final Circuits the more time required to
carry out the necessary tests. For what you have at the moment price range could be £100/200.
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/find-an-electrician/periodic-inspection-explained/

If there are no major problems with the installation then you are talking about two hours of labour for fitting (say £100) and final testing plus parts.

For parts, I always give two prices. One for a split load board comprising two RCD's protecting two banks of MCB's.
The other a full board of RCBO's. Generally you pay about £100 for the split load and £250 for the RCBO board.

Changing the CU does required Local Authority Building Control notification so make sure your electrician is a member of a competent persons scheme.

Now check A again.

£100 + £50 per circuit.
More if there are significant problems with the existing installation.

South east area

For a property of that size usually around £350+vat

Wylex or crabtree board, Supplied, fitted, certificated

Maybe a little more if the main bonding needs installing/upgrading, i usually include this unless its a big job

Prices will likely increase after christmas when new consumer unit regulations are in place

What do the new regulations say?
Which bit do you want?
Amendment 3 came in 1st July 2015. Regulation 421.1.201 (non combustible consumer unit - or non combustible cabinet enclosure) comes in 1st January 2016.
Nothing to stop you fitting them now of course - although the price for the metal clad CU is about three times the price of a plastic version.

What do the new regulations say?
... Regulation 421.1.201 (non combustible consumer unit - or non combustible cabinet enclosure) comes in 1st January 2016. ... Nothing to stop you fitting them now of course - although the price for the metal clad CU is about three times the price of a plastic version.
I imagine that BAS is alluding to the fact that 421.1.201 does not specifically require metal CUs/enclosures, yet no-one seems to know or understand which plastic ones (already available or 'soon to come') would be compliant with the regulation.

KInd Regards, John

I've been fitting metal CUs for years as they are better. I love the new hager metal domestic CUs they look fab and are great build quality.

I'm sure, but that's personal preference. No reason not to use metal ones if you want, but I wondered why riveralt thinks that one will have to next year.

If compliant plastic or other non-metal consumer units were available, they could be fitted.
So far, every manufacturer with 'new' consumer units has metal ones, plastic won't be an option.

Crabtree, Wylex, MK, Schneider, Eaton, Hager, Hamilton, Contactum, Cudis - all metal.
Doepke originally claimed their plastic ones were compliant, then changed their mind, and now have a range of all metal ones.

The other choice of a non-combustible cabinet around the consumer unit isn't likely either, due to extra time and cost, plus the issue of obtaining such a cabinet in the first place.

And are they only making metal ones because it is impossible to make plastic ones which comply, (and if so what standard can they not comply with?), or are they only making metal ones because of the invalid wording in BS 7671 and the inability or refusal of most electricians to actually *)£&%^)~@ think?

The list of people who one might (with extreme generosity) say are not covering themselves with glory here just gets longer and longer. I'm amazed that JPEL/64 has not had a serious kicking from the EU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back