CU Replacment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Very new here so this my first post. Just bought a house and it has an old Wylex rewireable fusebox. I know it should really be updated but can this work be done myself and then signed off by someone else?

Im trying to keep costs down and am more then comfortable working with electrics as I studied for a BTEC National Diploma in Electronic Engineering as well as a C&G Electrical Servicing at collage years ago. If I can do this is their any advise that you can give in the actuall fitting as well as finding someone to sign it off.

Lastly the house has the old red and black wiring, would that need to be replaces with the new blue and brown colours or can the old red and black be connected to a new CU?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
In theory you can do it yourself, but it is unlikely to save any money.
In England or Wales you must notify Building Control before starting and pay a fee, which varies by location and how much inspection/testing is required.

The old wiring can be used if it is in good condition, which would be found out by testing and inspecting it before installing the new consumer unit.

Thanks for that Flameport, I was hoping to save costs as quotes to do it seem to be around 5-600 yet I can buy the CU and bits for much less. Wireing looks to be in good condidton from the bits I have seen so far. CU is in the garage so all the wiring out the top of the current CU is open.

How would i find out what fees and testing I would need?

Sponsored Links
How would i find out what fees and testing I would need?
As has been said, you need to ask your own Local Authority, since charges vary appreciably. For what it's worth. the fee charged by my local authority was £350 in 2013 (quite probably a bit more now!).

Kind Regards, John

I seem to remember in Wales it was £100 plus vat for first £2000 worth of work, however on top of that is the DNO charges. From what I remember the council want you to have the supply disconnected by the DNO before you start and reconnected after you have finished which means also a massive charge from DNO plus likely no power for a couple of days. So although in theory you can DIY in practice you can't.

Wire colours are not a problem, however wire type can be, old rubber cables do need removing.

So I looked at it like this.
£1000 for materials
£1000 for charges
£700 for meters to test with
£3200 for some one else to wire the house.
So in real terms I was paying £500 to £1200 for two men for a week to re-wire the house, it simply was not worth doing as a DIY job even when I hold all the current certificates to sign the installation certificate myself.

In real terms only time it is worth doing it DIY is when there is other building work going on at the same time. I did DIY when the wet room was done, but that was because my hand was forced when the builders ran off in the middle of the work.

You get the DNO to come out after you have fitted a 100A isolation switch and suitable tails on either side.

Something like a Wylex ES14 (there are others out there) and this:

https://www.edwardes.co.uk/en/produ...tm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping

(good quality switch which is rated 125A)

If you don't have an aversion to Wylex, you could buy this:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...|prd|0569685&gclid=CNWRos24gtACFUcQ0wodPo0MQw

Don't pay more than around £14 for this REC2S, there are some companies selling this for a lot more...

As an aside, I have never been charged by a DNO for them doing this sort of work.

Last edited:
... £1000 for charges
OP was only asking about a CU change. Why frighten him talking about £1,000 for charges etc.?

The vast majority of properties in the country are still - and likely to be for a good few years yet - red and black cabling. What's the fuss about?

Chances are, a bit of electrical TLC can deal with any faults. It doesn't need to necessarily be 100% perfect for a CU change.

Last edited:
I seem to remember in Wales it was £100 plus vat for first £2000 worth of work,
My LABC have a formula like that for building work, but not electrical work. If I recall correctly, for electrical work, it was £180 for 'minor work' (whatever that means) and £350 (£120 'initial charge' plus £230 for 'testing') for everything else.
.... however on top of that is the DNO charges.
Like secure, I have personally never come across DNOs charging for pulling and replacing cutout fuses.
From what I remember the council want you to have the supply disconnected by the DNO before you start and reconnected after you have finished which means also a massive charge from DNO plus likely no power for a couple of days.
As above, I personally have not come across DNO charges (let alone 'massive' ones) for pulling/replacing fuses. In any event, again as stated/implied by secure, if one plans one work sensibly, the period without power can be minimised. Indeed, it's far from impossible to arrange things so that the pulling and replacement of cutout fuse can be done at one DNO visit, if they're co-operative! Alternatively, as he says, one can pay them a modest amount (some don't even seem to always charge!) to fit an isolator before you start the work, so you then have the means of 'disconnecting/reconnecting the supply' yourself, at your leisure.

Kind Regards, John

I seem to remember in Wales it was £100 plus vat for first £2000 worth of work, however on top of that is the DNO charges. From what I remember the council want you to have the supply disconnected by the DNO before you start and reconnected after you have finished which means also a massive charge from DNO plus likely no power for a couple of days. So although in theory you can DIY in practice you can't.

Wire colours are not a problem, however wire type can be, old rubber cables do need removing.

So I looked at it like this.
£1000 for materials
£1000 for charges
£700 for meters to test with
£3200 for some one else to wire the house.
So in real terms I was paying £500 to £1200 for two men for a week to re-wire the house, it simply was not worth doing as a DIY job even when I hold all the current certificates to sign the installation certificate myself.

In real terms only time it is worth doing it DIY is when there is other building work going on at the same time. I did DIY when the wet room was done, but that was because my hand was forced when the builders ran off in the middle of the work.

Sorry, you forgot to mention the all did not go well….. with your rewire, did it?

DS

Our electricity supplier fitted an isolator for us for free. They said they couldn't, then they said there would be a charge, but in the end they weren't organised foot such requests!
In terms of charges to the local council, you can look on their web site if you want to get them in.

As an aside, I've labelled their isolator as the main switch. It's much clearer then having the isolator in a row of mcbs, I've known people switching off the first MCB thinking it was the main switch before.

Sorry, "organised for such requests" ... Auto correct strikes again!
As in, they hadn't a clue what I was on about, but the dno said it was down to the supplier. Eventually I got them talking to each other, so the supplier sent out a g4s guy, who fitted the switch for free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back