CU tidy up last hurdles are boards fuse size and earth

Agreed - 2 is better than none. In some cases it can't be avoided, such as caravan sites.

Sponsored Links
If there is a fault on any circuit, not just something plugged into an external rcd (or none rcd) socket you are going to loose at least half your circuits with todays 17th edition split rcd cu's unless you go for filling with rcbo's instead.
OK so you can have rcd exemptions but most circuits will be rcd covered in the majority of cu's.

I would think that the average home owner being given a quote for a rewire and or cu update would look at the offered choice of split rcd cu or fully populated rcbo cu and go for the split unit.

I wonder how many homeowners actually test the rcd's on a routine basis?

I used to test my external socket rcd's every time I used them, but now with 5 or more circuits dropping on a test I will like many I expect be more careful when I choose to test, that doesnt seem like progressive increase in consumer safety to me.

I'm slightly puzzled as to why testing the sockets via the test button trips the upstream RCD, normally the test resistor is between outgoing neutral and incoming phase. - maybe it is an MK thing?

Sponsored Links
Incoming phase and outgoing neutral at the downstream RCD are outgoing phase and outgoing neutral to the upstream RCD, so all it sees is an imbalance and so correctly trips...

Doh I'm talking crap - ignore me, obviously if it's between outgoing phase and neutral from the upstream RCD it will still be balanced so shouldn't trip...

The test resistor of a normal device installed downstream when the test button is pressed just appears as going across phase and neutral to any upstream device, so in my eyes, shouldn't trip the upstream device.
If you press the test button on an RCD in a caravan it doesn't take out the upstream device, even though it is of the same trip rating.

Doh - I was typing at the same time as you :LOL:

I've seen it crop up before on RCD's that use a functional earth, that the test button did actually discharge down the earth (i guess that tests the functional earth is connected and functioning lol).

I guess for an RCD socket it might make sense for it to discharge down the earth, as then as well as testing the RCD, it's also verifying that you have earth connected properly etc (if either aren't right, the RCD won't trip so you then theoretically call in an electrician who hopefully finds the problem...)

I'd have thought it better the opposite way around - that the device shouldn't reset if no functional earth is present.
To start putting current down an earth core which is broken upstream will cause the potential in all downstream connected exposed metal parts to increase - maybe to full mains potential.
That is why when you are doing an I&T you should always do an efli test prior to doing an RCD test - and the C&G2391 like to ask that question ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back