curved steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am thinking about building some at the front of the house.
topped with a 600 slab,4 steps high
whats the best way to do this and the best way to cut the slabs in a curved shape?

Sponsored Links
The best way is to use an engineering brick as a 'nosing' and these can be laid to a moderate curve. The slabs can then be cut as an inset with the bricks acting as the framing.

You can also buy segmented slabs that, when laid together, form differing sized circles. Theses pre-designed sets start with a centre circle and are then surrounded with ever increasing 'rings' with ever lessening radii.

So, you could buy a slab to suit the radius and not need to cut.

I don't like engineers as a nosing (unless they are structural engineers. lol)

Engineers can chip easily, and are too slippery for nosings

Use them for the step, but lay the slab over them to form the nosing

Lay the slab on the top (upside down), and use a block of wood to mark an even profile of the step from underneath. Then cut it with a grinder

Engineers can chip easily, and are too slippery for nosings
I disagree with both these points. A square edged solid blue provides as good if not better purchase than a slab and they do not chip easily. They (solids) can be laid on edge or flat.

I have plenty around my garden and they have had some stick over the years with no chipping and are no more slippery than the slabbed steps at the bottom of the garden.

Sowing a cut edge of a slab looks pants.

Sponsored Links
Not to mention it's a buggah with the amount of needles that you get through...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back