Cut and cover part of solider course above window

Ill let all the structural engineers know your concerns and all your buddies that can not apply a couple of coats of paint.(y)
Paint is a cop out. In that situation, the regular expansion and contraction wears the surface, leaving it susceptible to water.

All external steel, especially structural should be at least galvanized, and if necessary a slip plane fitted.

Yes, it's convenient for a builder to pick up some cheap angle, put a coat of gloss on it, only use 75mm or 100mm so they don't need to remove so many bricks, and then leave the customer to deal with the problems in a few years time once the builders guarantee (if any) has expired.

Sponsored Links
Paint is a cop out. In that situation, the regular expansion and contraction wears the surface, leaving it susceptible to water.

All external steel, especially structural should be at least galvanized, and if necessary a slip plane fitted.

Yes, it's convenient for a builder to pick up some cheap angle, put a coat of gloss on it, only use 75mm or 100mm so they don't need to remove so many bricks, and then leave the customer to deal with the problems in a few years time once the builders guarantee (if any) has expired.
Nonsense.

You still have not answered.

We all know why a builder would use the cheaper, easier option, but why should a customer accept it?
I would say the arrangement in the image is about 3 times the cost of a proprietary manufactured lintel (including fab'). It was specified by a structural engineering company as was the paint stipulation. Not the easy option, not the cheap option but the best option and not just some thin galv tat that you would rush to fit.

Sponsored Links
Footnote:

Anyone reading this thread will note the irony of a bloke arguing over the merits of raw steel (painted) who at the same time has recommended the merits of steel beams with ANGLE IRON or plates welded beneath to carry an outer course of bricks.

I'll let the forum decide who is being disingenuous.
lintels over 8ft door - cavity wall | DIYnot Forums
203 x 203 uc steel | DIYnot Forums
bi fold patio doors support...? | DIYnot Forums
Locating a lintol | DIYnot Forums

Last edited:
Thanks both. Out of curiosity, is the suggestion I mentioned in post 7 possible? I'm likely misunderstanding, but wouldn't that avoid the need to split any bricks horizontally? Thanks

Footnote:

Anyone reading this thread will note the irony of a bloke arguing over the merits of raw steel (painted) who at the same time has recommended the merits of steel beams with ANGLE IRON or plates welded beneath to carry an outer course of bricks.

I'll let the forum decide who is being disingenuous.
lintels over 8ft door - cavity wall | DIYnot Forums
203 x 203 uc steel | DIYnot Forums
Locating a lintol | DIYnot Forums
Its not getting through is it?

First, take your hard hat off

Second, remove your ear plugs

Third ...

WHY WOULD YOU USE A ANGLE WHEN A PROPER, GALVANIZED COATED LINTEL IS AVAILABLE?

Fourth, Tip of the Day ... when quoting other posts for humourous effect, ensure the situations are the same.

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

Its not getting through is it?

First, take your hard hat off

Second, remove your ear plugs

Third ...

WHY WOULD YOU USE A ANGLE WHEN A PROPER, GALVANIZED COATED LINTEL IS AVAILABLE?

Fourth, Tip of the Day ... when quoting other posts for humourous effect, ensure the situations are the same.

Thank you. I'll be here all week.
Lol keep digging.

No problem. I'll stop digging as soon as you give an answer, but TBH I'm taking my shorts and bush cork hat as I think' I'll need them. G'day.
You dismissed the angle on false grounds. It was wrong of you to do that when you have sanctioned raw (painted) steel in other scenarios.
There is nothing wrong with either method done correctly.

but wouldn't that avoid the need to split any bricks horizontally? Thanks
Yes.

The only problem with 10mm steel is it can be prohibitively thick. Your joints look like they'd be able to cope though.

• Thanks
Reactions: Bov
Personally, my main concern, given that your builder wants to to try and chop the bottoms off the soldier course bricks (a silly idea) just to avoid doing any brickwork, would be how well he can rebuild it all if you ask him to.
If done badly it could look horrendous, especially with a course of non matching bricks thrown in there

I buy a lot of surplus/miss measured windows and doors that rarely align with course heights so I get busy with the angle grinder.

Chop the back of the brick out, slice a groove in it:

IMG_20220124_143111216.jpg

Fit the lintel:

IMG_20220125_090516874.jpg

Job done:

IMG_20220125_090231783.jpg

What you need to assess, is whether the soldier course and brickwork above is good enough to retain, lintel, and repoint any cracking without the joints looking excessively wide - in your case it looks a possibility.

Thanks cdbe that's a great suggestion, I'll discuss that with them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back