Cut off newel post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
The newel post at the bottom of stairs was cut off and a metal stair rail fixed to it and the stringer. I want to have a newel post with handrail balustrades etc, more traditional look. Can I join a newel post somehow to the old one and can I just fix the other end of the handrail to the wall? Somebody told me there is some sort of kit for where the newel post has been cut but I can't seem to find it. See pics
1543930125127768181328.jpg
1543930125127768181328.jpg

Attachments

• 15439301934231223881790.jpg
    15439301934231223881790.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 256
Sponsored Links
You could splice in a newel post to the base slot .
At wall you use a 1/2 newel post screwed to wall.

I see there is a tenon on the end, can you recommend a glue that would be strong enough to
A: keep the filler piece in place after I've drilled out to accept the tenon
B: Strong enough to hold the post there safely

Sponsored Links
Stronger to cut in a single newel rather than doing it in bits.
(Remove outer section so newel goes to floor )

most off the strength has now been removed the mortise you see means all the strength has been removed hence the crack to floor level
does the newel seem solid to the string or can you see movement or gaps ??

possibly hard to tell
may make it easier to "saddle " a new newel base over the string down to the tread top and floor on the other side

When I did one similar I removed the whole old newel.
Then created a slot. In the new newel, applied plenty of glue and having cut some matching pegs, drilled right through both the stringer and newel post, and drove the pegs through

You can buy 2 part newel so if you cock up the bottom you don't ruin the whole thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back