Cutting holes in sheet metal - quest for metal 'spur drill'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I once used (at Decca Radar) a set of cutters that were a bit like spur drills, but these had powerful spring loaded centre spikes and would whisk a clean and accurate 12 mm hole through the lid of a die-cast box using just a centre-punch dot as a guide.
I have been searching in vain for such a thing on the internet to no avail. Would these have been just a specially made set of tools, or are there current commercial variants? And what would be their correct name? Thanks

Sponsored Links
We use them now and then, similar to a broaching cutter....

Two mfrs i can think of are armeg and alfra....

Thanks for that. Looking at http://armeg.co.uk/files/literature/lit-ldx-flyer.pdf there's obviously a whole new (to me) family of useful-looking tools there! BUT... the problem is that they start at 18 mm, and I want to cut 10 mm.

The devices I have in mind are like the ones in the pdf, but the spring-loaded, cutter-locating piece in mine is a spring-loaded steel cone with a sharp point, not a pilot drill. I'm grateful for your input, but any more thoughts? Thank you.[/i]

Sponsored Links
Rotabroach make a set with 5/6 sizes, think about 8 -20mm in a little case.

do a google for 'rotabroach mini cutters' Make sure you are sat down when you look at the price mind!

Hmmm.. I see what you mean! I'm sure that they're a delight to use and perfect in their field, but for the number of holes that I have to cut I'm finding that a £10 2-12 x1 mm step drill is doing a really nice job... Case closed, I guess, but thanks again to all for a lot of interesting information.

glad the step-cutter works for you but you might wish ----just for interests sake---at watch and clock makers tool suppliers as I think that you would find that they do a similar tool Good luck. j.m.(onetenor )

You mean, 3 years on you haven't yet drilled those holes?

Is this the sort of thing you're after?

mopp_0812_05_z+auto_paint_job+spot_weld_cutter.jpg

I know them as spot weld drill bits. They're about a fiver each.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back