Cutting windows into uneven brick courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My brick courses are out by around 25mm/m horizontally. Bricks are poor quality imperial. What is the best way to minimise the visual impact of this.

My builder is suggesting a plastic trim around the windows (aluminium windows). I am thinking it might be better to just cut into the bricks? If this would look better I wonder would it be better to have one side on the bed joint, or try and split the difference over both sides of the window. Is the sill or the lintel more important to get lined up (I know both would be out be a certain amount.

I have tried to find pictures of how this looks or methods of dealing with this but cant find anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
When things are out of level that much there is really not much you can do to hide it. Cutting the bricks would be ideal if space is going to be a brick down to a cut brick. Get some new imperial bricks if you want, a 73mm high brick is fairly easy to get but there are others even bigger. A grinder with decent blade would make a neat job of cutting bricks - I only use diamond blades for cutting masonary, they are cleaner and retain diameter through use.

Sponsored Links
If a course is rising like a salmon to 400mm over the length of the house, or bobbing up and down 25mm every metre, then you may as well just bed the window up at one end because nothing but render or ivy will make it look any better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back