Daily Telegraph Expert says homeowners can fit own boilers

G

Goldspoon

Quote:

But heating appliances in existing buildings are generally covered by separate rules laid down by CORGI (for gas) and HETAS (for solid fuel), and sometimes these rules apply only to professional installers, not to home owners. For example, were you to engage a heatingengineer to install a new gas boiler, then he or she would be legally obliged to be CORGI registered. But there is nothing to stop you as an individual from buying a new boiler and fitting it yourself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property...oblems-with-thermostatic-radiator-valves.html

Sponsored Links
No doubt you will expect loads of debate on a worn out subject. Don`t wait too long you might be disappointed, if you are looking for opinions do a search. ;)

a builder who thinks corgi still runs the show.figures, most of his advise is ****.

Sponsored Links
Actually, he's correct.

To work on or fit gas appliances 'for reward' you need to be CORGI ( gas safe )

If you're fitting your own then you only need to be 'competent'.

Glad the author is aware of the gassafe register.

Yes, a homeowner can install his/her own, providing he/she can demonstrate competence to do so. This competence gan be gained through the usual channels of training, qualifications, observation by registered professionals, and all the other requirements that professionals have to adhere to.

So, if a diy'er is prepared to spend several thousand pounds on these courses and spend several years gaining these competencies, then they can indeed install their own boiler. Personally, I preferred to do the wet work and left the tails nearby for a gassafe to connect to for under a couple of grand (supplied and installed).

Made it so much easier to fill in the guarantee card - especially the bit where it asks for the installer's gassafe reg number.

Actually, he's correct.
er actually he's not
But there is nothing to stop you as an individual from buying a new boiler and fitting it yourself.

No mention of being competent there. Just a free pass to diy your own boiler. Dangerous and irresponsible advice.
No diyer will ever be able to "prove" competence, whether they are or not.

Good job Agile, ChrisR, Corgiman,Slugbabydotcom,Kevplumb, Pedanticvindictiveman, Ollski, Oilman, whole Forum aren`t about. :eek:

Topics been done to death, let Goldspoon search if he wants an opinion. :rolleyes:

Actually, he's correct.

To work on or fit gas appliances 'for reward' you need to be CORGI ( gas safe )

actually your wrong. the guy bangs on about having a trv at the top,actually rad heat sizes are calculated on the princaple of TBOP.

Here goes 3 page argument on what everyone thinks is law and as usual it will be full of sh~te and urban legends.
Fek i fell for it and have replied :confused:

Hi Holty, When I said he was correct I was referring only to the OP quote about being able to fit your own boiler.

Not saying his every word is right, sorry for the confusion.

Actually I am watching this!

Its all nonsence because he is obviously out of date and incorrect.

Its unfortunate that the Telegraph sllow him to rant on in such an incorrect way.

If only I was in the UK, ( I am currently in France ) then I would be asking Gas Safe to intervene!

Tony Glazier

Actually I am watching this!

Its all nonsence because he is obviously out of date and incorrect.

Its unfortunate that the Telegraph sllow him to rant on in such an incorrect way.

If only I was in the UK, ( I am currently in France ) then I would be asking Gas Safe to intervene!

Tony Glazier

you are obviously on line Mr T G lazier

drop em a wee email ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back