Damaged mixer tap - should I fix or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an old mixer tap. A nut around the central spout has a chunk missing from it, but I've been ignoring that since the tap will be replaced when the whole kitchen is refitted in a few months. However, when turning the spout today I felt something 'give', and it bent at a slight angle that it clearly wasn't supposed to. I gently pushed it back into place and it stayed there. The nut seems like it may be a little looser than it was, but I'm not 100% sure.

I've attached a couple of pictures - one of the tap itself, one of what's underneath.

The water runs fine and there aren't any leaks, but I'm assuming I need to do something now rather than waiting for the refit. I'm not sure what though. Can I just replace the damaged nut around the spout? It looks as if that might hold the spout in place.

If I have to replace the whole tap, how should I go about removing it? The nut underneath the sink holding it in is tucked away so that I can't reach it with a monkey wrench.

I'm a little out of my depth here, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20230129_021428463.jpg
    PXL_20230129_021428463.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20230129_021511829.jpg
    PXL_20230129_021511829.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
If the kitchen's being done in a couple of months, and there are no leaks, I'd leave it til then (look to bodge it if it gets worse between now and refit time)

As above try and make it last a few months but, if you can't, replace it and use the new tap in the new kitchen.

The nut underneath the sink holding it in is tucked away so that I can't reach it with a monkey wrench.
The joys of plumbing I'm afraid.

If the kitchen's being done in a couple of months, and there are no leaks, I'd leave it til then (look to bodge it if it gets worse between now and refit time)
As above try and make it last a few months but, if you can't, replace it and use the new tap in the new kitchen.
Thanks for the advice! What would getting worse realistically look like - is there a chance of the tap starting to leak in a way that causes damage if I'm still using it? E.g. leaking under the sink

The joys of plumbing I'm afraid.
If I do end up having to replace it, is there any kind of tool designed for getting at nuts like the one in the picture below the sink? Or would I be stuck having to remove the sink entirely to access it?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back