Damp on demise wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I live in an apartment building constructed in the late 1980's in London.

My bedroom wall is also the demising wall. On the other side is my neighbour's apartment. There are three floors of apartments above me.

Recently a small patch of the wall has been looking damp, growing black mould, and having a "froth" on it.

AF1QipMHi8OVFb14nCNipZW0QH2kCKvXLxlaaMwMgd5g

I guess I will need to contact the building management company but before I do so does anybody have any ideas about what could be happening and how difficult (and costly!) resolution of this problem could be.

Many thanks,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Black mould is almost always condensation from your side, not damp coming in.

What part of the wall does it relate to, and what could be on the other side or above?

I'm not sure where the condensation would be coming from on my side.

It's difficult to say what is on the other side and above. My guess is that the other side is an entrance corridor but I have no idea what could be above.

Chris

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure where the condensation would be coming from on my side.

It's difficult to say what is on the other side and above. My guess is that the other side is an entrance corridor but I have no idea what could be above.

Chris
Condensation comes from humidity in the air hitting a cold surface. If it's an entrance it might be cooler there. You can prove with a hygrometer and an it thermometer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back