Danesmoor 15/19 Boiler Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

We have an elderly Worcester Danesmoor 15/19 oil fired boiler in our new house.

Had the boiler serviced recently, no problems reported.

Boiler has recently started locking out. It runs fine for an hour or so then locks out. Once reset it runs fine again.

Photocell is clean. Any ideas what else I could try? Have read elsewhere it might be the solenoid coil - does that sound like an explaination for this case? Or the motor capacitor?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The coil would be a good starting point.
The only way to be sure is to measure its resistance when it locks out.

You can also do the trial and error way.

you can order a new coil from hwos.co.uk for about £12

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, have ordered a new coil.

Was in the room when the boiler locked out this time. It buzzed for a few seconds before locking out (nothing appeared to run) - is that consistent with a solenoid coil fault?

Thanks

Why not get the service engineer back to fix your fault? Simple answer I know, but sometimes, unless you know what you're doing, more problems can be created. Burners have only a few parts to them, but from your explanation it could be solenoid coil, the solenoid on the pump itself, a dirty filter on the oil line, and, from your last post, it could be a jammed motor (bearing failure), a cracked connecting dog, one of the electrode cables breaking down on reignition.......... lots of other potential faults. All need to be eliminated first.

.... because this is a DIY forum!!

Fair point, doesn't make a DIYer an expert though. Just giving you a heads -up, there can be lots of other faults, but then if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't need to ask.
Unfortunately the 'professionals' do sometimes need to be called in, even if it does cost more. But do crack on if you feel confident enough ;)

Thanks guys.

I'll blow my money on the solenoid then get an engineer in if that doesn't work!

:oops:

IF there was a "buzzing" noise after lock-out it sounds like a tight spot on the pump OR a bearing wearing, but try the capacitor first, failing that then get a decent engineer in & YES this is a D.I.Y forum HOWEVER there are certain things on ANY boiler that should just be left to the professionals, that is why we spend a small fortune on our qualifications.

Thanks.

Solenoid didn't do the trick, so capacitor is next on the list.

At that point I will give up and get someone who knows what they are doing ....

the capacitor may give you false hope as it may seem like its working o.k for awhile...personally I'd call the engineer in..it's getting close to christmas & you dont want it breaking down over that period & having to remortgage the house for a new oil pump!!!!

Capacitor replaced, all working OK now. We'll have to wait and see whether it's a permanent fix or "false hope" ......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back