Danesmoor DF20/30 Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help? - We inherited this 1970's oil fired boiler when we moved house last year. During the weekend it ran out of oil and although we finally had a delivery today, the boiler will no longer fire up. I suspect air is the fuel feed and I need to bleed the boiler but am not sure where I can find the bleed valve. Also, while bleeding does the boiler need to be on or off?

An urgent repsonse would be much appreciated - in the meantime, I'll go and fill the hot water bottles again for the family!

Sponsored Links
Don't know the exact model but there is probably a bleed port on the fuel pump.First bleed the fuel filter, then try slackening the flexi pipe to fuel pump connection to get fuel to the pump , then re-tighten.Open the bleed port on the pump with the boiler running until all the air is expelled.Might take two or three goes with the boiler locking out in between.Make sure you have something ready to catch the fuel in as it comes out under pressure.You will have to wait on each lockout for a couple of minutes for the boiler to reset itself.Tighten the port as soon as fuel with no air bubbles is expelled. The boiler should now start.

It is normal for people who use oil as a heating fuel to keep an eye on their tank and order further supplies in good time!!!

If you are really so disorganised that you cannot do that then some of the oil suppliers have an automatic device which telephones them when you supply is getting low.

I've bled the hose to ensure the oil is getting to the pump smoothly but am not sure where to locate the bleed valve on the pump itself - can you describe what I should be looking for (is it a black hexagonal nut close to where the oil hose enters?).

Many thanks for the constructive advice so far.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Good style agile.

The piece of piss way to do it is turn off the oil valve in the boiler If you have one. Undo the flexi hose to the oil pump, stick the end in a pot and run oil through until it stops spurting air. Then reconnect and tighten the flexi connection. Check after ten minutes with a piece of coloured tissue there are no leaks. Turn on the oil valve then start the boiler. that's it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back