Danfoss TP5000 to Hive - Multizone Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Experts,

I am a newbie and trying to resolve a problem which I have post Hive installation. Requesting some help on the installation.
I had Danfoss TP5000 thermostats and decided to replace it with Hive. I have two zones so two Danfoss thermostats (Ground Floor - controls heating of the whole house and Upstairs Bedroom - controls heating of master bedroom).
British Gas Engineer has set up the Hive multizone (two Hive thermostats) and all are hard-wired. There is no separate Hive receiver is required as Hive tech team says that all the new Hive thermostats come with the receiver in-built.
I have combi boiler only heating can be controlled. The hot water is on-demand.

Problem: Upstairs thermostat does not fire up the boiler. Only downstairs thermostat fires up the boiler.

I checked the Danfoss Actuator (bedroom one) and it's closing and opening the valve as expected.
  1. Do I need to change any wirings? Is yes then what and where do I need to change?
  2. What is the Black, Brown, and Grey color wire means?
  3. Why the Grey wire is not connected to Hive Thermostat?
Any help to resolve the problem would be highly appreciated.

Upstairs Bedroom Hive. This one is not firing up the boiler but opening & closing the heating valve.
20201029_082532.jpg

Ground Floor Hive. This one is firing up the boiler but opening & closing the heating valve. Working perfectly fine.
20201029_083134.jpg

Danfoss Actuators Wirings.
20201029_082814.jpg

If I interchange the Black Wires with each other then bedroom Hive thermostat is able to fire up the boiler but ground floor Hive thermostat is not able to fire up the boiler.

20201029_082830.jpg

Combi Boiler
20201029_083229.jpg

Danfoss TP500 Thermostat which has been replaced by Hive.
20201029_083321.jpg

20201029_083312.jpg

Thanks,
Suvendu

Sponsored Links
"If I interchange the Black Wires with each other then bedroom Hive thermostat is able to fire up the boiler but ground floor Hive thermostat is not able to fire up the boiler." Referring to Terminal 5 and 6.

Personally I’d get British Gas back as they have installed it, it could be a wiring issue or it could be a faulty thermostat.

@Chris_W Yes that's what I did. Yesterday British Gas engineer visited my place. But the guy is saying it's the bedroom actuator/gas valve issue which I do not think. Because checked the actuator and it's turning the valve as expected.
As I said earlier "If I interchange the Black Wires with each other then bedroom Hive thermostat is able to fire up the boiler but ground floor Hive thermostat is not able to fire up the boiler." Referring to Terminal 5 and 6."
So not sure it's an actuator issue.

Also, he said to change the actuator and fix the problem I need to pay almost £200.

So I am trying to find out if there is any other solution. Any help?

Sponsored Links
You are completely confused, the Hive does not fire up the boiler as you call it, the Hive only controls the Zone valves, the zone valves then tell the boiler when to "Fire up" you do indeed need a new actuator, stop messing with the wiring or your bill will just keep growing

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
You are completely confused, the Hive does not fire up the boiler as you call it, the Hive only controls the Zone valves, the zone valves then tell the boiler when to "Fire up" you do indeed need a new actuator, stop messing with the wiring or your bill will just keep growing

Agreed. When I am increasing the temperature then both zone valves are opening and closing when decreasing the temperature. So it means actuator is working fine.
But the boiler fires up only when ground floor zone valve is open.
Even if upstairs zone valve is opened by actuator operated from Hive, it does not fires up the boiler.
My understanding says, if the actuator is not able to open/close the zone valves then there is a problem with actuator.

Any reason why the boiler is not firing up even if the upstairs zone valve is open?

Thanks,
Suvendu

yes , when the zone valve is fully open, not manually opened, it closes a micro switch or sometimes known as an end switch, this little switch sends power to the boiler to tell it to come on, post a pic of what zone valves you have , the actuators are very easily changed and you can do it yourself if you want

yes , when the zone valve is fully open, not manually opened, it closes a micro switch or sometimes known as an end switch, this little switch sends power to the boiler to tell it to come on, post a pic of what zone valves you have , the actuators are very easily changed and you can do it yourself if you want

Refer to the pic which I had posted on the first port. It's Danfoss. Also attaching another pic.
Are you saying the Actuator is responsible to send power to the boiler and open the valve as well?

20201029_142443.jpg

Regards,
Suvendu

Did a troubleshoot. Interchanged the Actuators. Bedroom actuator is now set with Ground floor valve and Ground floor actuator is now set with Bedroom valve.
Previously I was thinking the bedroom actuator has a problem as it was opening the valve but not igniting the boiler.

But after interchange the problem still persists with the bedroom heating and ground floor heating is again working fine. So don't think it's actuator problem.
Any suggestions where is the problem? Boiler problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Suvendu

In your wiring center you will have grey wires all in one terminal and orange wires all in one terminal, these are the switch wires from your zone valves, you need to seperate them, be carefull as they will be 230V, switch on each zone one at a time and see which valves complete the end switch , the one that doesnt is the faulty valve

In your wiring center you will have grey wires all in one terminal and orange wires all in one terminal, these are the switch wires from your zone valves, you need to seperate them, be carefull as they will be 230V, switch on each zone one at a time and see which valves complete the end switch , the one that doesnt is the faulty valve

When you say faulty valve does that mean only the actuator or actuator + valve?

Regards,
Suvendu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back