Dangerous stupidity.

He wasn't; he was speeding as well as overtaking on the left (according to Conny's account).
1. How do you know he was speeding if he's behind you? Where's your calibrated speed gun?
2. Overtaking on the left is allowed if a line of monkeys are stationary on what is supposed to be an outer lane.

Sponsored Links
1. How do you know he was speeding if he's behind you? Where's your calibrated speed gun?
2. Overtaking on the left is allowed if a line of monkeys are stationary on what is supposed to be an outer lane.

I know he was speeding because my camera shows I was doing 64-65mph, the traffic in the outside lane was approaching at a slightly higher speed, (about 4-5mph). The vehicle that moved into the lane behind me was approaching my vehicle much faster than the ones it had undertaken.
Doesn't take a scientist to understand that if a mass is travelling at a little less than the maximum permitted speed, another mass is approaching the first mass in an adjacent lane at, or fractionally less than, the maximum permitted speed then a third mass approaching both masses at a higher ratio of passing must be exceeding the maximum permitted speed.
As for calibrated speed guns, both front and independent rear cameras show the same speed reading. Are you saying they are both incorrect? If the other two vehicles have cameras, (I don't know if they did), and their cameras reveal they were driving a few miles faster than me does this mean their cameras must be faulty as well?
Regarding point 2 in your post. There were no monkeys driving any of the vehicles and they were certainly not stationary in the outer lane.

I know he was speeding because my camera shows I was doing 64-65mph, the traffic in the outside lane was approaching at a slightly higher speed, (about 4-5mph). The vehicle that moved into the lane behind me was approaching my vehicle much faster than the ones it had undertaken.
Doesn't take a scientist to understand that if a mass is travelling at a little less than the maximum permitted speed, another mass is approaching the first mass in an adjacent lane at, or fractionally less than, the maximum permitted speed then a third mass approaching both masses at a higher ratio of passing must be exceeding the maximum permitted speed.
As for calibrated speed guns, both front and independent rear cameras show the same speed reading. Are you saying they are both incorrect? If the other two vehicles have cameras, (I don't know if they did), and their cameras reveal they were driving a few miles faster than me does this mean their cameras must be faulty as well?
Regarding point 2 in your post. There were no monkeys driving any of the vehicles and they were certainly not stationary in the outer lane.
Can you post the calibration certificates for both your cameras please?
Or that of any camera in plg vehicles?

So this is what we have become as a society. We do the Police's job for them, and go around with our cameras happily snapping all things that offend us and all other's presumed transgressions are uploaded for "justice".

Yep, good innit? There was a time when if there were no police about, the transgressor would likely get away with it. Now you have to be very wary of your actions, even when there are no police about, because the chances are that someone you upset may well have a camera running.

I made my first similar report, including video to the police exactly six years ago today. An idiot driving an LGV, in the very busy 50mph along the M62 around Manchester. He was tail-gating, weaving from lane to lane, undertaking constantly, even swerving from lane to already occupied lane intimidating other drivers to make way for him by his swerving. I was towing in L1 and saw what he was up to long before, became level with me, him in L2 stuck behind a 4x4. I was ready for him as he swerved across in to the side of me, to react to get out of his way.

Such was his driving, that I did a 999 and promised them the video just as soon as I got home. I wasn't called to give evidence, I guess the guy saw no option other than to admit it.

Yes, the nutters should be taken off the road and by whatever method works best.

Sponsored Links
Or that of any camera in plg vehicles?
No I cannot. However, I am quite willing for the police, or any other governing body, to take my cameras for calibration testing in the knowledge that they will be within limits. How do I know this? Because approximate 5 months ago when I fitted them my granddaughter was in the back seat playing with her new camera and she was recording the road ahead when a couple of deer wandered across the road ahead of us. It was captured on my dash cam camera and her hand held camera so for fun we watched both videos to see who had the better shot. As I slowed down, for the deer to cross, her video showed my speedometer at being at the 40 mph mark, my dashcam video showed 39mph. Accurate enough to justify they are pretty accurate.

Time spent reviewing dash cam footage by the police will be a highly efficient way to identify and penalize bad drivers. Back to the peel principles.

If you don't enforce the highway code then it becomes guidelines rather than law.

Dangerous Driving is a bit subjective, but undertaking which might be OK in some situations, soon gets silly on a motorway. If you do something which would make a somewhat nervous driver take evasive action, you deserve a ticket.
I reckon there would be a fairly good agreement that what conny describes is not OK.
Precise speeds aren't very important here, surely.

Just because some drivers aren't doing what you might think they should regarding lane choice, is no excuse to be a tit.

No I cannot. However, I am quite willing for the police, or any other governing body, to take my cameras for calibration testing in the knowledge that they will be within limits. How do I know this? Because approximate 5 months ago when I fitted them my granddaughter was in the back seat playing with her new camera and she was recording the road ahead when a couple of deer wandered across the road ahead of us. It was captured on my dash cam camera and her hand held camera so for fun we watched both videos to see who had the better shot. As I slowed down, for the deer to cross, her video showed my speedometer at being at the 40 mph mark, my dashcam video showed 39mph. Accurate enough to justify they are pretty accurate.
You are aware that your speedometer is not calibrated and cannot be used in court as evidence, don't you?
There's a reason why all speed cameras are calibrated BEFORE recording any offence and on a regular basis.
Police cars speedometer are only calibrated on some vehicles, not all of them.
Without this calibration certificate, there's no chance of prosecution.
Your visual approximation of speed is just a wild guess.
If you're doing 20mph on a 40mph road on the out lane (like most prius drivers) and a car passes you at 40 mph on the inside, you're the one committing an infraction to the highway code.
It will take them approximately half a second to pass you, that's why your brain thinks they're speeding.
In reality you are going too slow and in the wrong lane.

You are aware that your speedometer is not calibrated and cannot be used in court as evidence, don't you?
You are correct, the speedometer is not calibrated and usually under-reads by a larger ratio, at higher speeds.
However, the speed measured by dashcams is usually derived from a GPS signal - it still might not be recognised as 'calibrated' by the police, but it is far more accurate than the speedometer.
Given the miniscule tolerances allowable with the GPS system, if it wasn't an accurate reflection of the speed, then it just wouldn't work as a GPS system!

Let's cut the bull for goodness sake. Often, it's blatantly obvious if a vehicle is speeding. Let's say you're driving at speed x and the designated limit is x, then you see a vehicle far back in the distance in your rear view. Before you can say 'only a fool breaks the two second rule' said vehicle has gone from being a dot in the distance to filling your rear view mirror.

They're speeding.

Dangerous Driving is a bit subjective, but undertaking which might be OK in some situations, soon gets silly on a motorway. If you do something which would make a somewhat nervous driver take evasive action, you deserve a ticket.
I reckon there would be a fairly good agreement that what conny describes is not OK.
Precise speeds aren't very important here, surely.

Just because some drivers aren't doing what you might think they should regarding lane choice, is no excuse to be a tit.
My take on this is I won't be forced into the inside lane by bullies if I'm not hogging the outside lane/s.

Real life example. Couple of weeks back I joined a dual carriageway, inside lane. Increased my speed to ~70mph. I was approaching 3 - 4 vehicles on the inside lane that were probably doing ~65mph. On the outside lane, 2-3 vehicles were passing this slower moving group. I pulled out and joined the outer lane group as I wanted to pass the slower moving inside lane group.

Once I pulled out, I realised the outer lane group was taking its time to pass the inner lane group. This was due to the lead vehicle being a bit on the slow side, thus making the overtake manoeuvre a lengthier process. This isn't an unusual occurrence and yes, it can be slightly frustrating.

When I next glanced in my rear view, an old MR2 had settled near my rear bumper, two young guys in it. I'm doing ~70-75mph, this guys sitting a few feet from me. Must have been one of those super-duper drivers that can defy the laws of physics.

He's weaving left, right, getting closer, pulling back, getting closer. He decides to undertake but has to pull out of the manoeuvre due to then being behind one of the slower moving inside lane vehicles. He then settles on my rear bumper again. A gap then appeared on the inside lane so he moved into that, undertook me and the next vehicle, pulled out and settled on the rear bumper of another vehicle. At that point I was exiting the carriageway.

Some reading this will think I should have pulled over at the outset and let the MR2 through. My rationale is I want to pass the slower moving inner lane vehicles and can't be held accountable for the outer lane group moving slower than it ideally should have been.

Had a similar thing happen to me with a Transit van a few years ago near Newmarket. I, and a couple of other cars were overtaking a 'convoy' of 3 or 4 lorries. Just as my front was level with the rear edge of the last lorry a Transit come screaming up behind me, flashing his lights and getting so close I couldn't see anything but his front grill. I'm now trapped. I can't move to the left because I am along side a lorry. I can't go forward because I was staying a safe distance behind the front vehicles. So I patiently continue to drive past the lorries which were all pretty bunched up close, (a tactic I believe to reduce drag and hence save fuel), and as each vehicle passed the lorries they moved to the left. When it was my turn to move over, and I had gotten far enough in front to do so safely, the Transit made a move as if to dart up the inside until he saw my indicator flashing. All this time he had been flashing his headlights with the occasional toot on the horn. Unknown to him, the vehicle a short distance ahead which was now in front of me, happened to be a motorway police patrol vehicle. As the inside lane was going slower than the outside he didn't see it until I cleared his path. The police vehicle then lit up his rear windscreen with the sign, "Pull over!" on a rolling screen. The lead vehicle in the inside lane slowed down which meant we had to follow suit and also slow down. We let the police car guide the Transit over to the left and into a lay-by for a chat. All of a sudden everyones horns seemed to have a mind of their own, especially the lorries who were making a right cacophony of noise as they passed.

Gradually, tech will ensure we can't speed (can be switched off at present but I reckon will eventually be 'always on') and hopefully tech will also come along making it impossible to tailgate, with minimum distance linked to speed.

It's already starting and it won't stop. I'm getting to the stage where I'm all for it due to the number of idiot drivers these days.

Gradually, tech will ensure we can't speed (can be switched off at present but I reckon will eventually be 'always on')
Until the majority of cars become autonomous, I still believe there will be a need for a speed limit override.
I for one have been in situations where an increase of speed is necessary to avoid an incident!
...and I wish more people would use the accelerator appropriately when entering the motorway from the slip road!

Until the majority of cars become autonomous, I still believe there will be a need for a speed limit override.
I for one have been in situations where an increase of speed is necessary to avoid an incident!
...and I wish more people would use the accelerator appropriately when entering the motorway from the slip road!
Yes, I think at present the system will be as per the article. Then things will transition to it always being on, however the override for overtake etc will remain. Tbh I wish we had true, safe and reliable autonomous vehicles now. I quite like the idea of punching in an address then putting my feet up or having a snooze until 'you have reached your destination' is announced :)

Btw, I don't need a lecture from anyone on how autonomous vehicles will actually work ;)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back