Dartford crossing

I crossed twice today in my car, and have set up the automatic payments, but there is no notification of crossing and no payment has been taken.

Now worried I'll be fined for not paying!

Sponsored Links
I crossed twice today in my car, and have set up the automatic payments, but there is no notification of crossing and no payment has been taken.

Now worried I'll be fined for not paying!
It can take a few days or a week or more to show. I have my daughters car on my account and it took over a week to show (and be charged). I crossed it yesterday and still not showing in my history yet.

That's a relief to hear, I think ... so long as you don't get a fine!
I am trying to call them, but 93 people ahead of me in the queue ...
Automated message still says customers have until 31st August to update card details ...

That's a relief to hear, I think ... so long as you don't get a fine!
I am trying to call them, but 93 people ahead of me in the queue ...
Automated message still says customers have until 31st August to update card details ...
AFAIK, it was only those that set up auto payments by card for individual crossings. My auto payments come direct from my Dart account which is auto topped up by £10 from my bank account as soon as the balance drops below £10. If ever I was fined, it would be their fault for not topping up my account.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah, I sent a query through their system so there is a record of me asking.
I gave up trying to speak on the phone after about 30 minutes, and realising the number was probably going to cost me.

It looks like they're going to charge £4 for the Blackwall tunnel from 2025.

Will this be a big story, down there?

I crossed the bridge and tunnel one day early July.

Forgot to pay so opened an account so not happen again, hoping that I wouldn't receive a penalty charge.

Well never heard anything until yesterday. Got an increased charge from £70 to £105 + £2.50 × 2 = £215.00

Do you think they were reasonable and understanding when I called and explained and that I didn't get the first penalty charge.

I paid the toll a couple hours late one time and they sent me a charge. I called up and explained I paid as the automated service still allowed me to despite being late. She found my payment and told me to make a "late representation" appeal. I did and the charge was cancelled and my late payment refunded.

So they seem reasonable but not sure if I just got a particularly amicable person on the phone that day. Only charge I has was a £40 "admin" fee from europcar for passing on a fine 3 weeks later

Much like brits with EU speeding tickets. If you don't need to pay, why would you, especially if they make it difficult to do so. A lot of these automated systems don't accept non-uk bank cards

Last edited:
I paid the toll a couple hours late one time and they sent me a charge. I called up and explained I paid as the automated service still allowed me to despite being late. She found my payment and told me to make a "late representation" appeal. I did and the charge was cancelled and my late payment refunded.

So they seem reasonable but not sure if I just got a particularly amicable person on the phone that day. Only charge I has was a £40 "admin" fee from europcar for passing on a fine 3 weeks later

Much like brits with EU speeding tickets. If you don't need to pay, why would you.
But there would also be EU drivers speeding on our roads

But there would also be EU drivers speeding on our roads
What's your point exactly?

No-one likes the dartford crossing charge (which was initially supposed to be temporary) or speeding tickets. No-one would pay them if they had the choice, so why are people taking issue with people not paying when they don't have to? Jealousy? Envy? Just want to whine?

If the roles were reversed, I'd be doing exactly the same. Hypocritical to moan about it

How do all the foreign drivers pay?
TfL and Dart Charge have a German credit chasing company chasing the fines.
But it's not yet decided by some court that the data they are obtaining, i.e. drivers name and address, is for genuine acceptable reasons, under the data information laws.

Also, it's pretty difficult to set up an account to pay as you cross. You can set up the account but you can't set up the payment regime, You have to use a third party web site to do so.

Then there's the problem of paying in time. If you're on your way to cross channel transport, you could find that you don't get home in time to pay the charge.

In addition a three week postal service is not uncommon, so any penalty is already out of the reduced payment option timeframe before you get the notice.

Much like brits with EU speeding tickets. If you don't need to pay, why would you, especially if they make it difficult to do so. A lot of these automated systems don't accept non-uk bank cards
Speeding is, I bel;ieve an allowable reason for accessing the data, under the Data Information laws.
It's an offence, whereas the ULEZ, CG and Dart Charges are not offences. And therefore they are not justifiable reasons for Data Information sharing.

Sponsored Links
Back