Dates of introduction of Planning requirements/Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A buyer is asking about various Planning & building consents. These all relate to the 70s or earlier.

I see from the USEFUL INFORMATION sticky that The Building Act 1984 introduced the Building Regs requirements so I shall simply say they predate the 84 Act.

Is there a similar initial piece of leglislation for Planning Permission?

Sponsored Links
There were Building Regulations and Planning in the 1970's (and earlier) but why a buyer would be worried about something that old is rather strange.

Building Regs date back - I think - to 1965 when they became national standards. Before that, there were usually local regulations made under Public Health Act 1875.
Planning law generally dates back to the 1947 Act, but all this is academic because if a build dates back to the 1970s, there's
nothing anyone can do about it.
Either the buyer (or more likely buyer's solicitor) is clueless.

Sponsored Links
When I started work in Building Control (a very very long time ago) it was my job to look after the archived applications, they went back to the 1930's with beautiful hand drawn plans coloured with water colours, some were like works of art. They decided to micofiche everything going back about 20 years plus some of the big older applications but all the remaining old ones were destroyed, tragic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back