Dead people should be able to change gender

My thoughts.

1. what if there is no family? Does it then pass to a neighbour, friend, whoever? Presumably, this would only be considered if someone actually requested this be considered. Would the requestor then have the final say?
It's no good saying this is "whataboutery"; this sort of thing has to be considered, in the forming of good legislation.

2. (taking the BG case as the example), if you roll forward a hundred years or more, she will only be a she.
No recognition of her bravery to live her life the way she wanted, and no recognition of why her life was taken.
Unless you qualify it with her trans status.
Which sort of makes the exercise pointless in the first place.

That said, I am minded to say that recognising Brianna (sic?) as a she, until the end of time, will be a constant "f##k you!" to the vile b@st@rds who took her life.
(Although that could as well be seen as a vengeful, rather than a defiant, viewpoint).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The genesis of the petition was the murder of my constituent Brianna Ghey, whose life was brutally cut short before she was old enough to have formal legal recognition of who she was and how she will be remembered by her family, friends and our community.'
But she will be remembered by her family and friends irrelevant of any laws on posthumous gender recognition. They can put what they want on her grave.

My thoughts.

1. what if there is no family? Does it then pass to a neighbour, friend, whoever? Presumably, this would only be considered if someone actually requested this be considered. Would the requestor then have the final say?
It's no good saying this is "whataboutery"; this sort of thing has to be considered, in the forming of good legislation.

2. (taking the BG case as the example), if you roll forward a hundred years or more, she will only be a she.
No recognition of her bravery to live her life the way she wanted, and no recognition of why her life was taken.
Unless you qualify it with her trans status.
Which sort of makes the exercise pointless in the first place.

That said, I am minded to say that recognising Brianna (sic?) as a she, until the end of time, will be a constant "f##k you!" to the vile b@st@rds who took her life.
(Although that could as well be seen as a vengeful, rather than a defiant, viewpoint).
Is there anything to suggest that this was a trans hate crime? Remember she was first on a list of people they intended to kill and as far as I am aware she was the only trans.

Laws cannot change how people remember people. Its up to the family to do as they please.

But she will be remembered by her family and friends irrelevant of any laws on posthumous gender recognition. They can put what they want on her grave.
Yes.

What would she have wanted on it.

Why can't that be so? Her life was taken too short, and as a victim she has no voice.

Who should win long term do you think?

They can respect her wishes (or presume to know them) without any need to change the law.

No rights can be granted to the dead by amending this law.

Does it matter now that they are dead. If that's what they wanted then let them have their wish.

Is there anything to suggest that this was a trans hate crime?

In December last year police dismissed any motives for a hate crime but by the time of sentencing the killers police had changed their statement to
an “exceptionally brutal” killing partly motivated by her transgender identity. Sentencing, Mrs Justice Yip said: “You both took part in a brutal and planned murder which was sadistic in nature and where a secondary motive was hostility towards Brianna because of her transgender identity.”

One of the most disrespectful ways we treat the dead is the presumed consent law for on organ donation. You can arguably treat the deceased as having no rights but you shouldn't treat them as having no dignity. Its a short step from the chineese being keen on the death penalty when a senior party member needs a new kidney.

Sponsored Links
Back