decided on a setup, but can you recommend a system?...

"....I am sure they would say that most faults are in sensors and panels with few faults in the communication links between them...."

A recent item in Security Installer indicates that the average life span of such products, with no faults, now stands at ten to fifteen years. stick to your electronic projects and forget guessing about security.

"...One assumes...."

Assumptions again, not definitive evidence... Typical.

Sponsored Links
"....I am sure they would say that most faults are in sensors and panels with few faults in the communication links between them...."

A recent item in Security Installer indicates that the average life span of such products, with no faults, now stands at ten to fifteen years. stick to your electronic projects and forget guessing about security.

"...One assumes...."

Assumptions again, not definitive evidence... Typical.

Hmm
And do you not see a problem with your comment?

usual one sided drivel

Stop it now please. Don't pick isolated unrelated incidents to prove a theory.

You can't deny the existence of faults in wired system simply by saying someone left a cat where is should not be ergo wired systems would be fine otherwise , nor can you deflect the fact wired systems are not 100% reliable (Your chosen criteria for acceptance) simply because its the circuit boards or sensors 'failing' rather than the 'link' to the panel.

You are as always being very sparing of the facts Bernard which is quite insulting to assume others don't actually know any better.

I dont have documented proof as I do not need to keep records but I have individual experience of installing over 1500 alarms which I have been looking after since 2008. Would you not think in that time I would have had a problem come to light if a problem exists. I have much less experience of wired systems but Ironically of only FOUR I have personal experience of 50% of them have developed faults.(my experience is as an end user of those systems not the professional companies who installed them.

You know I have woodworking experience of many many years 30+ as it happens and a Company called Wadkin went out of business because the machines they made were so well engineered they never failed. Cast iron frames - roller bearings - brass machined fittings etc etc. The problem was they had no recurring income in the aftercare , service and repair arena , they had even fitted grease nipples to all the hinges and runners.
I have seen those saws work for 40 years without a single spare.
Meanwhile Italian companies came in and swept the market with cheap machinery cheaply made which needed continual repairs and service kits , brackets,bearings,drive belts etc and those companies making crap flourished while Wadkin went out of Business.
I have seen Grade 2 kit and to be honest the plastics and general feel are cheap compared to other brands and one has to wonder how much built in failure lifespan those components have.

You have mentioned a hypothetical fail due to two sensors activating simultaneously but why did you mention that.
It specifically states in the installation instructions NOT to face a PIR towards a door contact.

... or do you really want to expand this discussion into the area poor installations which is another area altogether and nothing at all to do with the inherent reliability or not of any particular system.

You reckon that bernard is sparing with the facts, if he has any. but what about alumni, he doesn't back anything up, what about this one:-

"..... And do you not see a problem with your comment?....."

Now if he could see a genuine problem with my comment, he would, well he might, be able to enlighten us, but as usual, and in line with the 'europolex method' he is unable to say more on the subject.

Sponsored Links
You have mentioned a hypothetical fail due to two sensors activating simultaneously but why did you mention that. It specifically states in the installation instructions NOT to face a PIR towards a door contact.
It was JohnD who mentioned the possibility of two sensors blocking each other.

On wired system both sensors would alert the panel and it would react accordingly and not allow the intruder to continue haunting around in fromt of the PIR which is noe in sleep mode and will remain in sleep mode while there is motion in front of it and for one minute after the intruder leaves. If no other PIRs are affected then the intrusion will not have been detected by the panel.

You have mentioned a hypothetical fail due to two sensors activating simultaneously but why did you mention that. It specifically states in the installation instructions NOT to face a PIR towards a door contact.
It was JohnD who mentioned the possibility of two sensors blocking each other.

On wired system both sensors would alert the panel and it would react accordingly and not allow the intruder to continue haunting around in fromt of the PIR which is noe in sleep mode and will remain in sleep mode while there is motion in front of it and for one minute after the intruder leaves. If no other PIRs are affected then the intrusion will not have been detected by the panel.

... Yawn but it WONT be in sleep mode because it does not go into sleep mode with a single activation.

You know that I have already explained that before.

Not only that but the scenario will not even occur because the installer will have READ THE FLIPPIN MANUAL! and not faced a pir to another sensor.
NOT rocket science really is it?

I do love your continual reference to some halwit running around the house like a plate spinner trying to keep all the sensors in sleep mode to stop the alarm being activated. (which as explained would not happen as you described)
Just one ther thing Bernard... will this ever so clever chappie be running around from room to room carrying the ill gotten gains aswell?.. I mean if he has to skip about from room to room trying to in your mistaken opinion keep the sensors asleep while lumping around the 42inch flatscreen , two laptops , a pair of Nikes thee ipods and a handfull of cash a and some jewellery it could get a bit akward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back