Decking. Dropped garden help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all... first post as i couldnt find anything similarly related within the forums.

Basically i would like to add decking to the rear of my property. The same hieght as dpc so i can walk stright into it. Problem is my garden drops down at the rear to 1.8 meters.

Now i know the hieght of the propesed decking is 300mm from immediately highest ground level. Would i achieve this from wear it drops without the need for planning permission. I have added pictures to help explain!

Attachments

• 20180829_224223.jpg
    20180829_224223.jpg
    308.2 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Quote from the planning portal

"Putting up decking, or other raised platforms, in your garden is permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, providing:

• The decking is no more than 30cm above the ground"

I can't see where your planned deck will be even close to being no more than 30cm above ground unless you are very optimistically including what looks like a path to the side of the house (behind the concrete steps).

Thought it would be the case. Shame it cant be an outhouse which you can walk on the roof ;)
I will go for planning.
Can the neighbours complain about it?

Would be the same hieght as their property.
I guess it would overlook the garden, but you its over looked either by standing at the window or just looking over the wall.

Sponsored Links
Can the neighbours complain about it?

The neighbours can object to your application so it might be worth a chat with them (especially those on the right of your photo) to try to get them onside before submitting your application.

If you do get PP then be prepared for a proper bit a design - with the height and potential loading it's not something to put together with a few posts and deck boards from your local DIY store.

Decking? Decking? That's ripe for outside storage And then you use the 'roof' as the balcony floor!

Get some helpful 'professtional' design work on that and put it in.

Me - dig footings ('cause it is going to support weight) at the distance from the house that you wish the deck to be. Maybe fix the long 'repair spurs' into the footing as it's poured, say at 4ft centres. Once set 4x4inch uprights to the height you wish the deck, (sorry, outbuilding roof) to be. 6x3inch joist along the front, 5x2inch wallplate along the house wall about an inch higher to provide 'fall'. 5x2inch joists at 16inch/400mm centres and OSB over; roof with the appropriate material to provide the waterproof layer (you need good advice here as your effectively going to walk on it). If you want the 'decking' look make up movable panels so that you can lift them once or twice a year to clear the debris that will collect in there. Gutter along the garden front.

I'l leave rest up to you....

Decking? Decking? That's ripe for outside storage And then you use the 'roof' as the balcony floor!
that wont work as a roof terrace is still a raised platform greater than 300mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back