Decking regulations...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone tell me what you can build regarding decking before you need planing permission. Can you build the frame and bolt a joist frame to the brickwork of the house below dpc or do you need to need to leave a gap. If you need to leave a gap between the joist and wall can someone tell me why. :confused:

Sponsored Links
keep the height below 300mm
and when connected to other buildings and extensions including sheds ect the area coverd has to less than 50% off the origional garden when built or as per footprint in 1945

Thanks for the replys, could just do with a answer to one of my questions ......is it ok to bolt/screw the base decking frame to my house, it is under the dpc.

Sponsored Links
yes space off the wall by 12-15mm use metal washers or spacers

you may need to take measures for splash back if the area gets a lot off water

yes space off the wall by 12-15mm use metal washers or spacers

you may need to take measures for splash back if the area gets a lot off water
Is it necessary to do this or can l just bolt up to the wall, l cannot see this rule in the regulations anywhere. Or is there just a reason for doing this......

no regulation but the damp and mould it can cause inside may effect your final choice ;)

no regulation but the damp and mould it can cause inside may effect your final choice ;)
l've made sure it's 4 inches below the top of the dpc big-all, so this would not cause any damp/mould inside..Would it !!

if you secure to the wall any water running down the wall pool on the decking especialy if the gap between boards is blocked up with crud
also if you get heavy rain because its less than 6" the splashing can wet above the damp proof

l've made sure it's 4 inches below the top of the dpc big-all, so this would not cause any damp/mould inside..Would it !!

If it were new-built you'd look for 6inches/150mm minimum clearance. I've seen this get picked up by mortgage surveyors too.

If you can only manage 4inches/100mm I would try to maintain a 50mm gap between the actual decking and the house for water to run down (attaching the actual supporting frame to the house shouldn't be a problem)

Also do not forget that you need PP if it is within 20m of a highway.

i do find it strange that a decked area ie. timber with gaps between them. could ever bridge a dpm. even if you had a timber alongside , or even stop ventilation to a suspended floor... surely if the decking floor is suspended then there is ventilation... and if it is not... the floor is too close to finished floor...

If it were new-built you'd look for 6inches/150mm minimum clearance. I've seen this get picked up by mortgage surveyors too.

If you can only manage 4inches/100mm I would try to maintain a 50mm gap between the actual decking and the house for water to run down (attaching the actual supporting frame to the house shouldn't be a problem)

so is this a guess or regs....

as far as i know there are no regs[yes they are regs buy for clarity ;) ] what so ever just 2 requirement to save on having to apply for planning permission
the 2 requirement are
for the decking to be below 300mm and total extensions plus out building to be along with the decking to be less than 50% off the garden

life isnt all about rules and regs its about common sence and what works if not otherwise specified

so is this a guess or regs....

Experience and practical use of the guidance for level thresholds in AD C...

Very very little are actual Regs, despite common misconceptions. Most of what people assume to be Regulations are only guidance and it's my job, as a professional, to interpret the guidance and apply it to the grey areas.

The actual Regulation (the legal bit) only says:

The floor, walls and roof of the building shall adequately protect the building and people who use the buildings from harmful effects caused by

a) Ground moisture
b) precipitation and wind-driven spray
c) insterstitial and surface condensation
d) spillage of water from or associated with sanitary fittings or fixed appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back