Delivering building supplies. Is it possible?

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying a property that will need quite a bit of work doing on. It will need a lot of building materials, bricks, sand, ballast etc. May also at some point require scaffolding? The property however has what I feel is fairly restricted access.

Access is provided via a tarmac single track road leading onto a gravel drive, this is about 100ft long but only 9ft wide which then does a sharp dogleg whilst widening to about 13ft. The property is then a further 100 ft down the drive.

Question is would all builders delivery lorries and scaffolding lorries etc be able to deliver directly to the property or is the access to restriced?

If so can anyone think of any alternative way of getting heavy bulky loads from the single track road to the property that would both be acceptable to the delivery drivers and not block the road for too long (that road is the only access for about 16 other houses)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So is that a definite no to a normal builders lorry?

I did consider buying a small trailer that my car could tow but in the end rejected that idea. If I had a delivery of more than one pallet of bricks or sand etc problem would be how to unload the first load, in order to go back and get further loads, quickly enough.

Should add the drive has 4ft fence either side of it just to make things more difficult.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately although its a semi rural location within surrey is basically NT land rather than farm land and as such no local farmers.

Wife and I really love the property but this is really putting me off as I can foresee us not being able to do the work we would need/want to do. Unfortunately I think her love for the place is clouding the issue which she does not seem see as a problem which in turn is putting extra pressure on me to buy.

Also the work will be done over the next few years so deliveries will only be as and when each job needs doing including and very variable in quantities with the possibility of a largish RSJ.

Its a repo so can't ask the previous owner and need to put an offer in now to stop it going to auction.

Heart says yes head says no.

Could you remove the fences?

Hire a trailer?

A trailer with a back flap (like a pickup truck) which you could tip up to empty the contents?

Hire an all terrain forklift for a day at a time when you need it. Or a crane. Builders merchants should have number for crane hire, I'd have thought.

If you love it enough............ where theres a will theres a way!

Buy an old trailor or all terrain forklift off e-bay, once youve finished just sell it again, should cost you next to nothing with a bit of luck!! thats what i'd do anyway, for my input. Buying stuff/tools of e-bay and reselling usually works out much cheaper than hiring!!! Ive made money on most occasions by making a better listing!!!!!

Good luck, I love my house and would carry every brick up the hill i love it that much, makes it even more special if its hard and you stay motivated

Sounds like more trouble than its worth.

If you want the stress, then buy it.

If not look for another property ..... I am sure there will be a few on the market at good prices over the coming months

I don't like hiring things your going to use a few time either so sounds like buying a second hand trailer would have been the best bet. Unfortunatly seems that the purchase is going to fall through anyway so problem solved.

It was going to be a lot of work but should have been worth it so sad and relived at the same time.

Thanks for the replies

How about buying a 2nd hand pick up truck and collect the materials yourself, when finish sell the motor or keep it

mitsubishisingle1.jpg

9' sounds enough room to me.

a desperate b.m. will deliver no matter what. they will have trucks of all sizes and will deliver to your door.

If the sale doesn't fall through why not ask some of the neighbours how they managed when they moved in, as the removal trucks must have been a fair size (similar to BM)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back