Departurtes

To answer this question (possibly in part) the D63 MCB is a Merlin Gerin Double Pole 63 AMP MCB and under 530.3.4 - which seems to require that only protective devices specified by the manufacturer can be used in a CU, so even if the CU complies with BS EN 60439-3 the D63 MCB must be specified by the CU manufacturer, if it's not Merlin Gerin then the answer is at this point is very likely no. BS EN 61008 (I assume -1) actually applies to an RCCD which has NO overcurrent protection, I assume that this scenario then has no overcurrent protection, the answer is then no.
Also you haven't specified the In. (I delta n)
If the cable complies with BS 6004 and I assume has a cpc then it must meet with the capacities as specified in table 4D5A depending on the installation method and de-rated accordingly to operating temperature, as you haven't specified the types and rating of any lighting loads then I would answer no on this aspect as one would have to measure/test all loads. ... but we will see what the official iet answer is ..

:cool:

WTF are you on man ?

Sponsored Links
So you have test equipment which will allow you to complete the schedules on an EIC, but you don't have a copy of, or understand, the Wiring Regulations, compliance with which you need to certify when you issue an EIC.

You are installing, or about to install, a consumer unit and you don't think that an MCB downstream of an RCD provides over-current protection, and you need to phone the IET to find out if it's OK to put a radial circuit wired in 1.0mm² twin & earth on a D63 breaker.

Am I the only one who can see a great deal wrong with this picture?

To answer this question (possibly in part) the D63 MCB is a Merlin Gerin Double Pole 63 AMP MCB and under 530.3.4 - which seems to require that only protective devices specified by the manufacturer can be used in a CU, so even if the CU complies with BS EN 60439-3 the D63 MCB must be specified by the CU manufacturer, if it's not Merlin Gerin then the answer is at this point is very likely no. BS EN 61008 (I assume -1) actually applies to an RCCD which has NO overcurrent protection, I assume that this scenario then has no overcurrent protection, the answer is then no.
Also you haven't specified the In. (I delta n)
If the cable complies with BS 6004 and I assume has a cpc then it must meet with the capacities as specified in table 4D5A depending on the installation method and de-rated accordingly to operating temperature, as you haven't specified the types and rating of any lighting loads then I would answer no on this aspect as one would have to measure/test all loads. ... but we will see what the official iet answer is ..

:cool:

WTF are you on man ?

he (BAS) asked me a question to possibly "establish" my competancy, I have only responded to his request, - and "nothing" to your comment/quote.

I think you summed up your competency quite well with your reply.

You've clearly googled a few electrical phrases and tried to form them into some sort of sentence.

Unfortunatly, the majority are entirely irrelevent to the question, and none of what you have written makes any sense what so ever.

We are not having a go for the sake of it. We are just really concerend for the safety of you and your family.

electrocution1.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think you summed up your competency quite well with your reply.

You've clearly googled a few electrical phrases and tried to form them into some sort of sentence.

Unfortunatly, the majority are entirely irrelevent to the question, and none of what you have written makes any sense what so ever.

We are not having a go for the sake of it. We are just really concerend for the safety of you and your family.

electrocution1.jpg

thx for the reply RF, what is the correct answer though? - out of interest

The correct answer is "no"

well that's what I said, no, no, and no.. but perhaps (from your earlier comments) that I'd come to that correct conclusion by incorrect interpretation/application of the regulations etc etc?

The correct answer is "no"

well that's what I said, no, no, and no.. but perhaps (from your earlier comments) that I'd come to that correct conclusion by incorrect interpretation/application of the regulations etc etc?

- taken all of your advice and after receiving correspondence from my FD she advised me to bond all 1st floor fittings etc with a compliant cpc, and exchange all non compliant class 1 fittings in special locations with current conforming fittings leaving just a couple of (non class 1) fittings that after the risk assessment she was not prepared to accept the cost and/or disruption, final risk assesment (after these initial works), minimal, time one day, cost (materials ~ £150 max), as you all stated, it's all for the good....

What is the minimum size for a CPC run on its own?

Ok, let's assume a total run of cpc for the 1st floor of 30meters and I've not also bonded to a water pipe etc etc in the loft space,
the RCBO is rated at 30ma, type B, the current rating is 6 Amps
So at a max of 6 Amps at 50Volts = ~ 8 Ohms (obviously too high to really serve the purpose..)
so, (not taking into account any R1 effects),
using 1.5 mm CSA or higher (to allow for mechanical stress etc etc ) then a 30 meter run of copper will give a maximum of 0.4 Ohms for this run, however I'd opt for a larger cable (say 2.5mm) as I'd only put it in once and stress during installation (and normal operation) is a factor; compared to the standard cpc of 1.0mm of say 1.5mm twin&e I'd recon on this being well above the required factor, having said all that I just read that a cpc run on it's own has to have a max. resistance of 0.05 Ohms, I'd need to look into that document further..... (but initial thoughts say that it's a physical impossibility to connect this corresponding size cable to domestic class 1 fittings)
Am I on the right "track"

Miles off - there is a minimum size of a CPC run on its own without mechanical protection of 4mm². (Reg 543.1.1)
By the time you have suffered the expense of 4mm² cable and messed around with that trying to fit it into fittings designed to accept 1mm² CPCs you may have well pulled in 1.5mm² twin and earth.

Miles off - there is a minimum size of a CPC run on its own without mechanical protection of 4mm². (Reg 543.1.1)
By the time you have suffered the expense of 4mm² cable and messed around with that trying to fit it into fittings designed to accept 1mm² CPCs you may have well pulled in 1.5mm² twin and earth.

good "call" !!

good "call" !!

So I could run 4mm2 to the loft space, also bond it to the cold water riser, and then re-run with 1.5mm t&e to all the 4 fittings then, but just using the cpc, doesn't sound "green" to me, a waste of energy for extra copper and PVC, but if that's the regs then so-be-it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back