detection of a phone being USED rather than just location

Sponsored Links
So no need for a separate camera costing £20 but a phone with a camera? Surely it’s easier to just go get a camera.
The OP was about an elderly relative with a phone .Think you have wandered off topic.

The OP was about an elderly relative with a phone .Think you have wandered off topic.
Yeah but if you use the elderly relatives phone as a monitor, won’t it have to be set up with the camera pointing towards, say, their lounge or kitchen or wherever you know they will be? You'd have to rely on them carrying it about with them around the house too, surely? What if they put it face down on the kitchen worktop? I only say that as Mrs Motties mum has just been diagnosed officially with dementia, she lives 45 minutes away and we are currently looking at getting a couple of discrete cameras for the kitchen and lounge as well as a video doorbell to monitor her from a distance as well as knowing if she's gone out. Her phone is an old 10 year old dumb flip phone and try as we might, she hasn’t got the capacity to learn how to use a smart phone - she can just about open the flip to answer a call.

Yeah but if you use the elderly relatives phone as a monitor, won’t it have to be set up with the camera pointing towards, say, their lounge or kitchen or wherever you know they will be? You'd have to rely on them carrying it about with them around the house too, surely? What if they put it face down on the kitchen worktop? I only say that as Mrs Motties mum has just been diagnosed officially with dementia, she lives 45 minutes away and we are currently looking at getting a couple of discrete cameras for the kitchen and lounge as well as a video doorbell to monitor her from a distance as well as knowing if she's gone out. Her phone is an old 10 year old dumb flip phone and try as we might, she hasn’t got the capacity to learn how to use a smart phone - she can just about open the flip to answer a call.
Same problem with a camera unless you fill the property with them .

Sponsored Links
Same problem with a camera unless you fill the property with them .
Not in our case. Our main problem is that we want to see that she has eaten. She forgets to eat and if we phone up to check, she says she has. We need to be able to see in the kitchen at least to see that she has eaten and remind her if she hasn't.

Not in our case. Our main problem is that we want to see that she has eaten. She forgets to eat and if we phone up to check, she says she has. We need to be able to see in the kitchen at least to see that she has eaten and remind her if she hasn't.
So you contradict your last post , you either need to see the entire property or you don’t .In which case one camera or phone will be adequate .

We set my FIL up with the cushions and mattress sensors. They were useless. If he moved off the bed sensor, say, to go the toilet, because he hadn't sat on the cushion it would ping our phones. It didn't reset when he went back to bed or sat in his chair.
Using an old persons phone as a camera is a non-starter as half the time they don't have it with them or forget to charge it.
We were toying with a camera system but he didn't have internet access, (and he had a habit of turning everything off at the wall!

Sadly he passed away last weekend and we are now in the process of arranging his final journey.

So you contradict your last post , you either need to see the entire property or you don’t .In which case one camera or phone will be adequate .
I said lounge or kitchen. That’s not the whole house. She’s got four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a dining room and an internal garage. Don’t need them in there. We need to see if she's made a meal and taken it in the lounge to eat it.

I said lounge or kitchen. That’s not the whole house. She’s got four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a dining room and an internal garage. Don’t need them in there. We need to see if she's made a meal and taken it in the lounge to eat it.
No you said kitchen at least .

No you said kitchen at least .
Well that’s not a whole house then, is it?

I know you can use a phone but not many pensioners that I know have a spare smartphone to be used as a monitor so I'm just making the point that a £20 camera will be better and cheaper than a phone propped up on a bookshelf. Why are you making such a big thing about it? That’s my final word on it. Go find a mirror and argue with yourself if you’re lonely.

Last edited:
Well that’s not a whole house then, is it?

I know you can use a phone but not many pensioners that I know have a spare smartphone to be used as a monitor so I'm just making the point that a £20 camera will be better and cheaper than a phone propped up on a bookshelf. Why are you making such a big thing about it? That’s my final word on it. Go find a mirror and argue with yourself if you’re lonely.
:) :)

Sponsored Links
Back