DeWalt SDS drill intermittent hammer function

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a mains DeWalt hammer drill which has been OK but has now started hammering only intermittently - which isn't a lot of good, the motor stilll runs and the drill works but percussionless. It hasn't done a tremendous ammount of work only having been used on a DIY basis, I bought a good quality one so it would last :( any suggestions? - Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Hi. I have a mains DeWalt hammer drill which has been OK but has now started hammering only intermittently - which isn't a lot of good, the motor stilll runs and the drill works but percussionless. It hasn't done a tremendous ammount of work only having been used on a DIY basis, I bought a good quality one so it would last :( any suggestions? - Thanks

Peter

Is it a percussion drill (normal chuck) or SDS Hammer (SDS chuck)?

Hi, how old is it? When I bought mine the hammer action packed up and on taking it back to where I got it from they checked it and replaced it with a new one, the inside had a fault on the percussion side. I have had the other one for ages now and worked it hard and as not failed yet. Sod's law says it is going to now I've said that. You may get the same deal, got to be worth a try.

Sponsored Links
I have not had it all that long but probably more than a year, I have only used it on about three jobs and just when I needed it most it packs up on me, the hammer action seems to have stopped completely now although it still sounds as though it is hammering.

I bought it on ebay, but of course I can't remember who from :mad:

Thanks anyway

Peter

Pull it apart, see if you can fix it. It's no good if it doesn't hammer, so how much worse could you make it? ;)

I had thought of doing that but I am in the middle of the job I needeed it for :( I will do that though - when I don't need it anymore. :confused:

squirt a good amount of wd40 down the chuck, and then use a knackered drill bit and give it a good whack.. might be that the chuck is full of crud and siezed ( I doubt that only using it 3 times you didn't bother with any graphite grease down the chuck on the first use?)

Thanks I will try that, there seems to be plenty of grease in the chuck as I get it on my hands every time I use it. I didn't know I had to grease it :oops: didn't have any instructions with it. I've been creating a fair ammount of dust so that could well be the problem. Incidentally, it wasn't three times I used it but on three jobs :D

Peter

If it's 2nd hand then it might just be knackered.

My old dewalt died it the way you're describing. I took it to bits and found the casting that makes the hammer part work had shattered. It survived maybe 5 years of trade abuse though so didn't do too bad really.

I bought a new replacement, and having used the new one for a bit I will never buy another dewalt power tool. :evil:

No, it was new but cheap :confused: Has worked brilliantly until now but I'm sure the chuck must be full of crud by now, worth a try anyway.

If it's been lying round for a bit it could be down to the grease in the gearbox needing replaced - not something you'd really want to do yourself, but a local repair place should be able to do it for around £20ish.

Same problem would occur if it had been serviced recently and they'd put too much grease in the gearbox as it limits the pneumatic hammer mechanism - Metabo had a problem with their SDS hammers a while back because they were putting too much grease in the gearbox at the factory, and it caused a "phantom" hammering - basically it sounded like the hammer mechanism was working, but there was no actual hammer action.

Its only a couple of years old. I tried to take it to bits this morning but it seems impossible, it obviously isn't but I don't think I can get it apart without breaking something. I have seperated the motor from the gearbox but can't see how to get the gearbox out of the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back