Diamond core cutter not cutting very fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought a diamond core set from screwfix some time ago. Works wonders on the inside skin of the wall and broozeblock but as soon as it hits the outer brick wall cutting almost stops.

Cutting at a steady speed, non hammer, letting the cutter do the work with little pressure... and getting nowhere.

Has anyone got any advice as to why it doesn't seem to want to cut brick?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, I'll go hire one for the job. Out of curiousity surely if the drill keeps the cutter turning then it should cut shouldn't it? No matter how big the drill if it's turning at a constant speed and constant pressure I would have thought they would do the same job?

Also is there a recommended rpm for a 4inch diamond core cutter?

What material is the outside skin?

It wouldn't happen to be natural stone would it?

Is the wall at all damp?

Sponsored Links
probably a cheapo cutter.
A decent one should whip straight through brickwork.
Have a look at these

The outer wall's brick, built about 3 years ago. The cuters are a set of 4 in a case that came from Screwfix. used 2 drills, a 24v sds and a makita non sds drill.

Well I hired an sds drill with core cutter from HSS and still I can't get through this damn wall. Am I missing something? The wall is a red brick thats really smooth to touch.

Well I hired an sds drill with core cutter from HSS and still I can't get through this damn wall. Am I missing something? The wall is a red brick thats really smooth to touch.

Can I ask, how long do you think this should be taking?

No idea, never done it before ut been at it a few hours today. How long would you think it takes on average to cut 4 inch hole through brick? If i have an idea how long it'll take I'll persist. What I don't want to do is spend another 3 hours only to find out it should take half the time.

Can you suggest how long I am looking at to go through the brickwork please?

No idea, never done it before ut been at it a few hours today. How long would you think it takes on average to cut 4 inch hole through brick? If i have an idea how long it'll take I'll persist. What I don't want to do is spend another 3 hours only to find out it should take half the time.

Can you suggest how long I am looking at to go through the brickwork please?

Not that long! Put it this way, last time I did it was with a totally c@ck drill from wickes with a cheapo diamond cutter from ebay, took about half an hour.

Ah, interesting. I just cleaned up the inside of the hole that I'm cutting from inside the house initially and it's not brick, it's some sort of rough cement looking stuff. A bit of measuring and there appears to be an outer brick wall, an inner layer about 100mm thick of this cement stuf, insulation, breezeblock and plasterboard. I'll try drilling from outside into the brick and see how that goes at the weekend when I can do it in daylight. If necessary I'll chain drill the inner stuff and chisel. No idea what it is but it's rock hard.

This hole isn't directly above a window or door by any chance?

No, it's on a wall with no windows or doors. The hole is about 2ft up from ground level. The extension was originally built to house a lift for the previous owner who was disabled, but took it out when they moved. This was secured to the wall I'm drilling so I wonder if it was strengthened for the lift somehow.

I know the problem well. The problem comes because the dimond segments are glazing over in the harder material. You will find drilling through the breeze block (which is very abrasive) wears away the metal matrix that hold the diamond, exposing fresh diamonds to do the cutting (you can feel them). unfortunatly the bit wont last very long in really abrasive materials.
When you hit hard brick (which isn't very abrasive) the exposed diamonds wear down but the metal matrix doesn't so you don't have anything to do the cutting (the tips will be smooth and getting hot - if you carry on forcing it, the braze holding the tips on can melt or if welded, the steel can distort/crack).

Solution 1. When it stops cutting in the brick, re-dress the tips by making a cut in a spare breeze block, you will be able to feel, with your finger nail when the segments have "opened up". You'll be able to cut a bit more in the brick then. Cut a bit - re-dress, Cut a bit - re-dress, Cut a bit - re-dress, etc. you should get through it eventually.

Solution 2. Buy a more expensive bit with a greater cutting range, Abrasive - Hard. Cheap ones may say general purpose, but they wear out quickly in abrasive materials and won't cut hard materials well. They are useually good for cured limestone concrete in the middle of the range.

Solution 3. Buy one specificaly for Hard materials just to do the brick

If the segments are "opened up" you should be able to get through re-bar.

Hope this helps
Andy

I've just re-read, You are hiring? Go and test the HSS customer service, they should have info about diamond cutting in the shop, they should be trained to advise, they should give you the right tools for the job - but you have to tell them what the materials are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back