Diesels

yes, there is lots around, but unfortunately is is not often found in large, easily minable concentrations.

"If they refuse to export then the Burmese, Australian and American mines will get more funding and scaled up."

There is no US mine in production. Australia sends its ores to China for processing, and I would be pretty sure that Burma does too.
The Mountain Pass Mine, owned by MP Materials, is an open-pit mine of rare-earth elements on the south flank of the Clark Mountain Range, 53 miles (85 km) southwest of Las Vegas, Nevada. In 2020 the mine supplied 15.8% of the world's rare-earth production. It is the only rare-earth mining and processing facility in the United States.[2][1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Pass_mine
It has been in and out of bankruptcy a few times, so whenever you last checked you might have been right. But for now you're not. ;)

Also, for further bonus points:

https://m.malaysiakini.com/news/512376

Lynas Corporation has announced that its rare earth processing plant at Gebeng, Kuantan, has received a three-year extension of the operating licence, until early March 2023.
An Australian run Rare earth refinery in Malaysia.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It seems alternatives are being looked at. I today did a trip to local town 16 miles return, using an e-bike, it seems around ½ the energy is provided by electric and half pedal power, and the 16 Ah at 48 volt battery showed ½ charged on return, so easy maths 1 Ah per mile or 48 Watt/h per mile.

But as we try to carry more people per vehicle the weight of the vehicle increases, buses and railway engines are heavy, the latter run on reasonable level tracks so reduces power required, but full or empty it still uses fuel.

So if we consider a Toyota Yaris carries 4 people why use a Toyota Land Cruiser? Really does not matter if petrol, diesel, or electric, the problem is we use vehicles which are way over sized for the job they do.

The larger and heavier the vehicle the more wear and tear to the infrastructure it runs on.

But also it is the need for a vehicle, earlier this year if I was hungry I could go to the MacDonald's drive through in my car, but not allowed to walk through? Years ago I could do all I needed without leaving the village I live in, today bank closed, and shops also reduced, so mail order or travel by car is the only way, and my wife pointed out the cost to take a large car to Ikea, so since we knew what we wanted we ordered on line to be delivered, took 6 weeks to get it.

It was Toyota who started the just in time idea, to reduce costs as storage, but the farmer has to plan 5 years or more in advance.

But it is not the petrol, diesel, or electric question, it is why we need to travel to start with.

So if we consider a Toyota Yaris carries 4 people why use a Toyota Land Cruiser? Really does not matter if petrol, diesel, or electric, the problem is we use vehicles which are way over sized for the job they do.

Indeed the vehicles we use for personal transport could be considerably smaller tha they are - we seem to have unwittingly got involved in some sort of arms race. Many people want a slightly larger vehicle so that they can feel safer, so we are always wanting something a little bigger

Difficult to know where it will end

31661d34-0293-451b-bb5b-4246b2ffa016.jpg

image from
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wm3kjv8/

Sponsored Links

Small cars aren't for everyone. At 6' 4" I can't get comfortable driving anything Yaris sized, so always opt for large cars. Only small car I ever drove that felt comfortable and seemed to have large car space for the driver was a Daewoo Kalos. Safety is another issue that larger cars offer.

Safety is another issue that larger cars offer.

I don't have a problem with my height/size, but yes I have only ever bought medium to large cars for the comfort and extra accident protection the offer. There is not much choice anyway, when I tow touring caravans - the extra weight is a legal requirement.

Safety which is bought at the expense of reduced safety for others.

My accidents over my lifetime are zero. Today we have some right nutters on the road, I drive a large vehicle to protect me and mine against the nutters - why should I care about them - they have similar life choices to myself, in the way they drive?

One almost took me out yesterday, he ignored the give way to traffic already on the road about, never even looked until he heard my horns blaring. A well beat up Mondeo, he had obviously had several accidents before. I just managed to avoid him.

I have had numerous near misses - drivers pulling onto motorways failing to give way, red light chancers - need I go on?

I drive a large vehicle to protect me and mine against the nutters - why should I care about them - they have similar life choices to myself, in the way they drive?
But that's precisely the problem - large numbers of people wanting bigger vehicles to make themselves safer, though it means other drivers are less safe. So there's an arms race in vehicle sizes, which are outgrowing many roads and parking spaces, and adding to emissions. At a time when we're told natural gas heating must end due to climate change.

Any vehicle that has a kerb weight of greater than 500kg declared as special type, requires tachograph and limited to 40mph.

Giant SUVs will soon loose their popularity

Sponsored Links
Back